Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fantastic Beasts in 5/70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts in 5/70mm
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 09:47 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand Lake in Oakland CA, has a confirmed booking of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in 5/70mm. It is from Warners and opens Nov. 18th. Anybody else?

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 12:38 AM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure about that? It's shot with an Alexa XT so it's not even a 4k source. It would seem strange to strike 70mm prints for a movie not even shot on film, let alone high resolution like the Alexa 65 or something.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is what my boss says. He says it is confirmed. Think Batman vs Superman. They made about 15 70mm prints of that. That was not shot on film either.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2016 01:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only benefit I can see of running that movie in 70mm is it would give projectionists some practice showing 70mm film. That's it.

Image quality will be just as good, if not actually better, watching that digital-sourced movie in a d-cinema theater. The film print would have at least one or more steps of generational loss in image quality. On top of that, there currently is no way to sync Dolby Atmos with 5/70mm. The Atmos mix of this movie would be exclusive to d-cinema theaters.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a marketing gimmick.

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BATMAN V SUPERMAN was shot on film (16, 35, 5/70, 15/70) and some digital. It looked great!

As for digital to film transfers, the two most recent ones I've seen (MAGIC MIKE XXL and MAD MAX: FURY ROAD) were both improvements over their DCP counterparts. Contrast and color were better, sharpness and detail were about the same, maybe even a little better. Things like fast panning shots, of which both these movies had several, looked a lot nicer and less jittery on 35.

Anyway, I'm glad to see more 70mm releases, regardless of shooting format (though obviously 65mm is preferred). I don't know if I'd call it a gimmick, at least not any more than Dolby Atmos.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a gimmick in the way 3D is just on a limited basis. As most of the theatres that can show 70mm with there own equipment these days are independents, it is good for them to get more customers through the door. That works for me where I work. In the San Francisco Bay Area it is the Grand Lake and the Castro that can do 5/70mm. You could add the California in San Jose but they are mostly a performing arts house.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-22-2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The risk of doing this, of course, is that customers will see the "70mm!!!" listing on the marquee or in the theatre's advertising, show up to the screening because of it, and then leave wondering what the big deal was.

I actually do think that video-originated material (even NTSC-level video) usually benefits from a film transfer (vs. video projection), but, if 70mm is to survive, it needs to be something really special and recognizably different from what most customers see in the average cinema. If customers can't see a big difference in quality, they will not go out of their way to see the 70mm presentation. Why would they?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-22-2016 06:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The only benefit I can see of running that movie in 70mm is it would give projectionists some practice showing 70mm film. That's it.
It also keeps FotoKem's film division in business and viable, not to mention Kodak's 2383 production line.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2016 08:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BATMAN V SUPERMAN was shot on film (16, 35, 5/70, 15/70) and some digital. It looked great!
That movie was heavily post processed via digital intermediate, in 2K resolution, then output to those film formats.

The film prints would have offered more of an advantage if the movie had used an enitrely film-based work flow. There would't be any 2K resolution bottle-neck or bottle-necks on color and contrast depth either. But nobody is using a 100% film-in/film-out process.

quote: Julian Antos
As for digital to film transfers, the two most recent ones I've seen (MAGIC MIKE XXL and MAD MAX: FURY ROAD) were both improvements over their DCP counterparts. Contrast and color were better, sharpness and detail were about the same, maybe even a little better. Things like fast panning shots, of which both these movies had several, looked a lot nicer and less jittery on 35.
You must be comparing a decent film setup with a bad d-cinema setup, especially if you're seeing more detail and better color on a film print that is generations removed from the movie's digital source. Soft focus and dim picture will make a d-cinema show look like crap compared to a Blu-ray played on a TV set.

quote: Julian Antos
I'm glad to see more 70mm releases, regardless of shooting format (though obviously 65mm is preferred). I don't know if I'd call it a gimmick, at least not any more than Dolby Atmos.
Dolby Atmos, when used effectively, is a lot more than just some gimmick. It can take surround sound to an entirely new complex level, blowing away conventional 5.1 and 7.1 audio.

70mm prints (if confirmed on this 2K digital movie) would mostly be a waste and barely even qualify as a gimmick. The public would need to know what benefit 70mm would provide. In this case there really isn't any benefit.

quote: Scott Norwood
The risk of doing this, of course, is that customers will see the "70mm!!!" listing on the marquee or in the theatre's advertising, show up to the screening because of it, and then leave wondering what the big deal was.
Absolutely.

If the movie industry wants to revive 70mm print use they need to go about it correctly or risk ruining any remaining appeal of the format.

I think 70mm prints are a waste on any digital-sourced movie rendered at 2K resolution. 70mm use is even questionable on 4K originated and rendered material. The latest cameras from Arri and Red can shoot in 6K and 8K resolution respectively. Sony is working on a 8K CineAlta camera. If a movie production maintained that high resolution completely through post production and output it to film then a 70mm projection setup could have a clear advantage over digital systems limited to 4K. Right now no contemporary movies are being post processed at higher than 4K.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-22-2016 10:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now no contemporary movies are being post processed at higher than 4K.
With the notable exception of those which use a completely photochemical postproduction process.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2016 01:31 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can all agree that it's far from ideal, but it's still film. Lets just be thankful for that. They could've not done it at all.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2016 01:51 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film prints would have offered more of an advantage if the movie had used an enitrely film-based work flow. There would't be any 2K resolution bottle-neck or bottle-necks on color and contrast depth either. But nobody is using a 100% film-in/film-out process.

Well, nobody except Christopher Nolan. Dunkirk is shooting on film, and like his previous several films, the IMAX 15/70, 5/70 and 35mm prints will all be photochemical finishes.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2016 06:28 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That movie was heavily post processed via digital intermediate, in 2K resolution, then output to those film formats.
According to this site only the non-IMAX VFX shots in Batman v Superman were in 2K.

"Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all the mastering/editing was done in 4K. Typically, if the film has VFX it was rendered in 2K."

quote: Daniel Schulz
Well, nobody except Christopher Nolan. Dunkirk is shooting on film, and like his previous several films, the IMAX 15/70, 5/70 and 35mm prints will all be photochemical finishes.
With Nolan having been executive producer on Batman v Superman I'd have expected at least some of the non-VFX scenes to have had a film-only workflow. Maybe not.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2016 04:27 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big problem is that the industry doesn't have a workflow for anything higher then 4k resolution, which is more or less equivalent to a first generation super 35mm resolution. Unfortunately, subsequent interpositive, internegative and distribution prints, bring that resolution down to a bit more then 2k, according to a Kodak study performed in the mid 2000's. Due to the cost and time associated with 4k finishing, most movies today are still being finished and distributed in 2k. So when you look at what has changed quality wise, we really haven't seen the dramatic bump in quality expected from this move to digital. Truthfully, all digital has done is put a lot of people out of work and reduced the amount of talent required to make and distribute a movie. During the film days, the whole workflow required a lot of skill and talent to make an acceptable image in post, but today with digital cinematography and digital finishing, you just don't need that much talent.

It's well known that an original camera negative 5/70 frame is around 8k and because we don't strike a lot of prints, the quality today of 5/70 is far superior to that of even 35mm prints of a few years ago. Batman V Superman was shot almost entirely on film and only some visual effects were 2k, mostly everything was 4k. Even though the content wasn't great, even though the very "digital" style of finishing wasn't great. The actual "presentation" of the 5/70 image, do I dare say, was excellent. Partly thanks to the modern 5/70 projector at Arclight and projectionist who did a great job. But also thanks to the filmmakers caring about making prints and making them look good.

Star Wars Episode 7 failed miserably in this department because the 35mm prints were atrocious and the digital release was 2k. For a movie released in 2015, you'd think they could do better, but in my eyes it was a complete "technological" failure. Episode 9 is rumored to be shot entirely on 5/65. In fact, there are THREE slated 5/65 movies to be shot in 2017!!! Do I dare say this whole thing MAY be taking off?

Where I agree the 70mm logo is great to have, I also find scanning a movie shot in less then 4k resolution to a high resolution format, is kind of a waste.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: