Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP20 LED Bracket (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kinoton FP20 LED Bracket
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2016 02:04 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I need a Kinoton FP20 LED bracket (with LEDs) for the Kinoton Digital Reader. Can anyone help out?

Thanks

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your LED's just bad or is it missing?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-20-2016 11:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should post a closeup pic if possible so we can see which version soundhead etc.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 03:38 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The bracket is missing. Here is a photo.

-

Thanks
Steve

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2016 07:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He wants a 1000 212 970010

-

Have you tried contacting Kinoton Digital Solutoins? They probably have them in stock. Otherwise, you are stuck trying to find one that is somehow on a machine that was neither thrown away and also not wanted (because without that part, the rest of the projector will be probably worthless except as a parts machine).

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 07:29 AM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure ordering from them won't be cheap. The LEDs alone are a few hundred bucks.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2016 08:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never known Kinoton to sell the LEDs raw...just in the bracket. It would be worth asking them though.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-21-2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light and Sound sell the LEDs raw - I bought a set in June. If I remember correctly, they were around $200 per LED. I remember thinking at the time that unless you absolutely need the capability to play cyan tracks, a conventional exciter lamp head plus a cat700 for Dolby digital probably makes more sense, because the bulbs only cost around $15 each and are much easier to swap out.

Learning that (a) the LEDs in red readers don't last forever, (b) replacements cost three figures, and (c) swapping the LEDs is something that most theaters would need a service tech call to do, reinforced my believe that the push to cyan tracks in the early '00s had very little to do with saving the planet from gnarly chemicals, as cyan cheerleaders claimed, and an awful lot to do with reducing distributors' costs (because they reduced the per foot cost of release printing) at the expense of exhibitors.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the information.

As someone that doesn't mind experimenting and with some electronics knowledge, what is actually required from the LEDs in sound heads? If it were possible to make an adjustable unit, with a red LED with a narrow horizontal aperture, would that theoretically work?

As a collector with working machines, I don't really want to spend hundreds of pounds on this machine but don't mind giving it some time to try alternatives.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-21-2016 12:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Experimenting with different light sources has been covered over the years on this site. Since you already have a slit on the solar cell in reverse scan readers the light is already masked. The idea of the "Dolby" LEDs was they are multiple LEDs or array in one package, 2 x 12 as I recall. This ensures even illumination across the soundtrack which is one of the reasons the soundtracks sound so good compared to front scan systems which tend to hot spot in the middle of the tracks, i.e., the quiet parts, while the outer parts of the soundtrack are rather dim on the loud parts so the dynamic range of the soundtrack gets effectively compressed.

The LEDs can be had for less, check around.

I can't see the picture of your reader very clearly but it appears you are missing the entire bracket that holds the Led so you have a few issues to deal with aside from the price of LEDs.

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 12:37 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a bracket from a Kinoton soundhead that was damaged during shipping (the soundhead, not the bracket). The LEDs on it are worn, but they still light up and produce some output. If you want to, you can have this thing.

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2016 04:36 PM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK, Omnex Profilm up in Stockport have raw LED arrays, for more-or-less the 'old' price (rather less than suggested above); I bought half a dozen earlier in the summer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-21-2016 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick to long life out of them is to shut them off when the projector is at idle....

Life could be as long as ten years even if used daily.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 01:28 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or connect the LED power supply on the motor relay.
/M.E.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2016 01:37 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fabian

I have sent you a private message

Thanks

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: