Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton E series software/firmware

Author Topic: Kinoton E series software/firmware
Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2016 03:26 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anybody who has information about the FP30E / 38E series about the software? Is there diagnostics software around, what does it do, can it help me? Can I read information about usage etc?

I have a machine and would like to have the “3 blade firmware” for it. Is that still available as an upgrade and is it just an upgrade of the firmware?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2016 07:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to contact Kinoton Digital Solutions http://www.kinoton.de/en/home.html

They are the holders of all things Kinoton from the film era.

As to 3-wing shutters. There is a physical shutter change as well as the firmware (IC13 on the main board). Furthermore, which shutter blade you need (and mating firmware) is dependent on which intermittent/drive system you have (MDE was used prior to 2007 and FPS was used from 2007 until end of production). Furthermore, depending on the model of projector and age, there were two different shutter motors used until the end of production and the firmware is different between the two. The "Studio" machines by 2007 started using a beefier "vario" motor on the shutter since all studio machines were variable speed.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

You seem to know everything about these machines. Mine are pre 2007 machines, with vario. One a 16/35 and one is 35mm. I hoped there was only firmware involved to drive it to 3 blade shuttermodus (I've read that somewhere..)

Any idea about costs of the conversion? I have 1000watt xenon on a 3.80 meter wide screen in my plans and probably that's too much..

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-13-2016 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your are "vario", do you mean they have the "10-30fps" option where you have the knob on the control panel to change speed? If so, they should go to 3-wing at about 20fps and below automatically. I presume that you want to go to 3-wing mode up to 25fps. If so, that changes your shutter blade as well as the firmware. And if your projectors have black shutter blades, you'll want a new hub clamp for the newer style blade (the black blades were thicker so their hub clamps don't properly secure the silver blades which are thinner).

As for costs...I have no idea. You'd have to check with KDS on that. What they used to cost is irrelevant now but it was't that expensive (relatively speaking)...it was in the mid hundreds USD.

You WILL lose a bunch of light though. For instance, with a 10-30fps shutter, you need about 600-watts. For a 25fps 3-wing, you need 1,100 watts to hit the same light level.

The 10-30 shutter has a 69-degree opening. The 25fps 3-wing has only a 36-degree opening. These numbers are all valid presuming an MDE system on a matte-white screen with constant height of about 1.6m tall.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2016 01:53 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

Thanks for all your input. The machines are one of the early E machines. Both Vario, 16-30 FPS.

My consideration. 1000watt xenon is way easier (cheaper) to find. So probably a new 1000w bulb and 3 blade shutter is moneywise the same as a 500w xenon (with convertor).

So I need to call find a 3 blade somewhere and the firmware. Do you have the right blade still in stock?

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-15-2016 04:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. We never stocked such things. Again, I'd contact Kinoton Digital Solutions and ask them. They probably can get you what you want.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-07-2018 04:42 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 629 days since the last post.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 04:42 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what the firmware chip is labeled? I have the BLEN3FPI.v14 but that's not for 3 blade (misleading print on the chip [Frown] )

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 12:19 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Florian,

I can look what our chips in our FP-38E:s are labeled with.

J.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2018 06:22 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jerry,

Would be nice to know for reference. Are these 3 blades? Our tech friend helped us out ordering the 3 blade software, but we received BLEN3FPI.v14, which sounds ok regarding the "3". But it is the same as the 2 blade firmware already in it (also mentioning BLEN3FPI.v14)

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2018 02:05 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With help from the dealer in Holland we received the right blade and firmware. Really nice to see it's still possible to obtain parts for these machines.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-26-2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Florian,

is this a private screening room, or is it a public space?

For what reason do you use a three blade system - low frame rate/silent movies, or just to reduce flicker with standard frame rate movies?

- Carsten

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2018 05:40 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,

It's for my private room. Reason to use 3 blade is reducement in flicker and light. It's easyer too find 1-2kw lamps and that's what my setup is using.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: