Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using a CP500 with an SRA5 for Better SR

Author Topic: Using a CP500 with an SRA5 for Better SR
Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2016 12:17 PM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there had been a little interest in my solution for this, I put together some documentation.

Since I use a CP500, but Cat. 668 cards are hard to come by, and 280T cards are the best way to go for SR anyway, I went this route. SRA5s are pretty cheap on eBay right now too.

All that's needed in addition to the CP500 and SRA5 are two audio distribution amplifiers, or one two-channel one, as long as the two channels have independent gain control. I use a Leitch FR-884 audio DA frame for many things within my sound racks, and one ASD-880 (600) stereo DA card handles this purpose. These cards have excellent specifications that well exceed the rest of the equipment. Whatever you use, make sure you're happy with the specs. It must be very flat and very linear for the best results.

One might be able to replace the audio DAs with variable attenuators, but since DAs buffer and isolate the signal, it seemed like the more foolproof, and possibly more stable option.

Enjoy, and let me know if I made any mistakes! I drew this up late last night, so I may have missed something.

http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/CP500toSRA5forSR.pdf

—Tom

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: