Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exhaustive projectionist training videos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Exhaustive projectionist training videos
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2016 11:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ok, not really "exhaustive"...more like "exhaustion".

Anyone know who this guy is or what theater this is? This has to be hands down the worst training video on how to run 35mm I've ever seen, and no I'm not nitpicking the camera work, sound, lighting or anything like that. If this is how new projectionists are learning the craft, it's no wonder so many prints are getting trashed these days.

Part 1 of 7

Part 2 of 7

Part 3 of 7

Part 4 of 7

Part 5 of 7

Part 6 of 7

Part 7 of 7

Most importantly note this venue is 2 projector changeovers. To the movie studios, they would consider this an "archive venue" just because they are running on reels. (Meanwhile they scratch everything they run.)

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-08-2016 11:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only looked at the first couple of minutes of part 1, but that told me all I need to know. He's walking around holding the film can vertically with one hand. If the reel inside is loosely wound and his hand slips and he loses his grip on the can, the result would be 2,000 feet of film all over the floor. If the rest of it demonstrates such sloppy film handling practices, then yes, it's not surprising that so many prints are getting trashed so quickly.

Oh, and those sharp-edged split reels are almost guaranteed to scuff the edges of the film pack.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 12:06 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm no professional, but his hack-job repair examples in part 1 made me squirm. He's tearing open a "defective" splice and removing a frame of picture and "brittle footage" from a blue-track IB print instead of repairing it? Seriously? And fingerprints all over the film?

Hack.

You guys could add far more to this, but even I get the point.

Seriously, Brad, how about a rebuttal video? Or some real training ones?

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 01:25 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks and sounds more like he is trying to impress the girl doing the camera work.

And even after she pointed out the obvious mis-threading over the roller below the sound head in part 6, he made some flimsy excuse about keeping the film tight. Had that been a full reel, it would be scraping on the sound head after a few minutes.

The camerawork is probably the most professional part of the whole thing. I found his presentation cringeworthy and couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds at a time.

If this guy knew his craft he certainly wasn't letting on!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2016 03:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Inching knob" is now my new favorite insult.

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 09:53 AM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could never understand that if the film company was so concerned about their prints that they would send some of them on "cores". I always knew "change-over Ques, not dots. If you have to "remember" righty tighty and lefty loosie, it would be fun watching you open your water bottle much less servicing anything.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2016 09:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also enjoyed his mention of the "doohickey" that holds the reel in place.

Sheesh what a disgrace.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Take a look at part 6 from about 4:15 to about 5:00. He gets the film on the wrong side of the black roller above the penthouse (where a full reel of film would probably rub against the body of the penthouse). Then, he gets the lower loop way too big (causing more emulsion scratches). And he gets the film on the wrong side the lower black roller (below the soundhead), causing base scratches against the body of the soundhead when the takeup reel gets full.

The guy is obviously not a natural teacher, and whoever made the video needs to learn about composition, lighting, and sound. I could accept these issues, though, if the "instructional" part of the video was actually correct.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 11:12 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the lamp house venting directly into the booth?

I think watching that may have killed brain cells.

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 11:39 AM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And make sure the film is on the "spikes"...painful.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-09-2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like when he tries to use the stepladder as a desk and when he realises that the reel wouldn't fit, he does what anybody would do: he puts a pillow on the floor! [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-09-2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that's how it was done!!

... and to think I spent all those years, managing to get into the Seattle local and working with guys whom, at least until today, I thought were good role models to learn from.

Good thing we're digital now and I'm not allowed anywhere near the actual image. It seems I'd been doing it all wrong for decades! [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2016 01:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Bolkovac
I could never understand that if the film company was so concerned about their prints that they would send some of them on "cores".
In cans on cores is how release prints are shipped in most of the world outside the US and Canada. Shipping reels in Goldberg cases are essentially a North American thing.

Both methods have their advantages and their gotchas. Shipping reels in Goldbergs probably safeguard the film more effectively against careless handling if - and it's a big if - they are in good condition. If a chunk is torn off a plastic shipping reel, the jagged edge can cause horrendous damage if the reel is not wound off it with extreme care. Dented and battered steel Goldbergs can also be a safety risk to projectionists and shipping personnel, because again there can be sharp edge injury risks, and if they get jammed shut and you need to lever them open with a screwdriver, there's a risk that this won't end well.

Cans and cores offers shipping cost savings (smaller packages), and is a better bet for protecting acetate and nitrate against decomposition in long-term storage (especially if the cans are vented), but handling the film requires a higher skill level. Large reels on 2" cores (like the one shown in the video) are also bad news, because the inner 200-300 feet can deform through shrinkage pretty badly, and you risk the core being crushed and/or falling out without super careful handling.

quote: Scott Norwood
The guy is obviously not a natural teacher...
He's not even a natural practitioner, let alone a teacher.

quote: Joe Redifer
"Inching knob" is now my new favorite insult.
"Captive screw" is quite a good one, too.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 02:15 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just know this guy loves pulling that knob an inch at a time.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What freaks me out is that those are 35/70 projectors. With this incredibly intensive (!) instructional course, it will be just days before someone gets the brilliant idea that, in the vein of Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland, "Hey, let's put on a 70mm show!" And they'll request one of the very few remaining 70mm prints out there, and before we know it, that print will be scratched (Century JJ-style) beyond salvation, never to be viewable again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: