Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Synchronizing 2 projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Synchronizing 2 projectors
Jae Song
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Jae Song   Author's Homepage   Email Jae Song   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am trying to synchronize 2 and possibly more projectors together for an art installation.

Would replacing the motors with synchronous motors do the trick?

Is there anyone that can help me? Make this for me?

Is there a way to run multiple projectors from one motor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
j.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-04-2016 02:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want frame for frame sync then you need to use a stepper motor on each machine with a master generator or regular motors with a selsyn motor and a master generator
either way very expensive

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2016 02:48 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you attempting to do? How "close" do you need the machines to be in sync? Simply using synchronous motors should lock each motor speed to the incoming power line frequency but variation in belt wear, gear wear, etc... Can cause slight variation in individual projector speed. However, I have seen multiple machines interlocked with one print using synchronous motors where the interlock accumulators did not move or drift at all over 2-2.5 hours.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to 35mm machines or something else?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it will be one of those 24/7 things where the projectors just run and run and run without ever being re-threaded like would happen in a normal multiplex.

Gordon's answer is correct for this application, but you could also rig up something on the cheap if you don't have the budget. Something that comes to mind without really putting much thought into would be to get two of those vertical sliding roller assemblies like people used to take up slight speed differences during interlocks, but rig a microswitch toward the bottom as well as toward the top of the accumulator roller's travel.

To try and paint an image, the film exits the left projector, runs through accumulator #1 and then enters the right projector. If the accumulator roller comes near the top of the vertical travel, the roller mount's bracket hits a microswitch that cuts power to the motor of the right projector. If the accumulator roller comes near the bottom of the vertical travek, the roller mount's bracket hits a different microswitch that cuts power to the motor of the left projector.

Then of course you would need to repeat that with a second accumulator so as the film exits the right projector, it would go through the second accumulator and then into the left projector.

So like I said, it's a "rig job", but if you're just trying to show film shuttling and such while using one loop between the two machines, that would do the trick. Assuming they didn't run EXACTLY in sync, but somewhat close, every so often one of the projectors would simply turn off for a couple of seconds. Just make sure you have a slow start kit on the motor so it isn't too jarring.

There are far more elegant solutions, but you would need to provide us with much more information. For example, what is the model of projectors in use? Does the motor have a slow start kit of some kind of inverter speed control on it? Does it have to be one loop running through BOTH of them in an interlock scenario? What is your budget for this?

Jae Song
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 12:22 PM      Profile for Jae Song   Author's Homepage   Email Jae Song   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for the reply!

I do need frame accuracy and need it to run for at least 2 hours at a time.
16mm projectors.

Would anyone be willing to help me make this? with either step motors or synchronous motors?

The installation will be similiar to this:
https://vimeo.com/43569465

I have a couple of ideas for much bigger installations with many projectors.

Budget wise - If this is actually possible I could possibly get funding from the art world. If someone can help I would be willing to pay for the service.

Or are there 16mm projectors with synchronous motors that I can purchase?

Thank you.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 02:33 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jae -- Interesting concept. Your initial setup (as seen in the video) incorporates a bit of a homemade "loop accumulator" of sorts, though I can see how the frame-accurate sync would be important over a longish period of time. Those Bell & Howell projectors are not "synchronous", for sure.

The first model of projector that comes to my mind, and which has synchronous motors, is the classic Eastman 25. There are several reasons you would probably NOT want these: rather large, no built-in loudspeaker, and not manufactured for perhaps 50 years -- though some can still be found, since they were exceptionally well manufactured. Actually, considering the concept shown in your video, the built-in loudspeaker aspect seems to be really important, since the audio byplays, or "bounces", between the multiple projector sources of the installation.

Those Bell & Howells you are using are powered by a motor which drives a plain rubber belt. The belts, no matter how well matched at the time of setup, will ALWAYS have a differing degree of slip between multiple machines. It may be very small, but (as you've probably observed) over a period of time they will almost invariably drift apart.

To stay with the type of projectors you have, you could possibly open them up and replace the motors with something similar size that is a synchronous motor. PLUS, you'd have to convert all driven surfaces to "gearbelt" drives -- i.e., the driving pulley on the motor, and the pulley which advances the mechanism of the film through the projector. And, of course, use an appropriate toothed gearbelt to end any slippage of plain rubber surfaces.

Assuming those conditions are met, your two (or more) projectors will stay synchronized as you require. The rotational speed of sync motors is set by the frequency (Hz rate) of the power line, which in the US is 60Hz, so a set of identical motors started at more or less the same time will maintain their relative speeds precisely, regardless of any differing drag or loading the mechanism(s) may be presenting to the motor. Within design limits, of course...

I haven't opened up my own similar projector recently, but you'll probably have to do some searching to find an appropriately-sized motor that will fit in there, be the correct RPM, and be synchronous.

Or, possibly someone out there knows if there are any models of 16mm projectors made in years gone by which were already built to operate in a synchronous mode. There were some that have been built to work for television (telecine) purposes, but I doubt they'd have the built-in loudspeakers.

Good luck on your project!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 03:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sync motors" will not produce frame accuracy until they reach speed as they ramp differently the only way if you want frame per frame lock, is steppers or selsyns and that is very costly

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 04:03 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I wanted to know how close in sync he was looking for and what exactly was trying to be accomplished. The other issue is making sure that each machine is in good condition where there is going to be no mechanical reason (ie:belt slippage, out of round shafts, worn gears, etc...) that could cause one machine to operate slightly different than the other.

I remember there was a "poor mans" method of measuring shaft speed posted in the forums using a strobe and taping a chart to a sprocket shaft I don't know how well it would work with certain 16mm machines but it would at least tell you how close they are running once up to speed. Possibly if you could measure a consistent difference in start up speed from one to the other you could adjust the threading by the difference but it would be a difficult work around and very touchy.

Gordon's way is really the best and most professional way to go if you can afford it and need frame to frame accuracy.

Brad's solution reminds me of running interlocks at locations with non sync motors and having to "toggle" the motor switches on one or more projectors to keep the accumulators centered.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 04:26 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but the "frame accuracy" he is talking about is a bit over the top for what he essentially needs, and the term is a bit more demanding than what he needs. There is "lip-sync" frame-accurate, and a less critical, what I'd call "non-slip interlock" just so that interlocked machines all run at the same speed. Assuming his anticipated installations are similar to the one he showed in his illustration, there is a giant film loop circulating through the air, and once the two (or more) machines are up and running, they will stay that way -- if sync motors are driving the system with gearbelts. Again, that's assuming that there will be a bit of slack between the various machines, as per the illustration.

Trust me, we're intimately familiar with absolute syncing. We've got the ultimate "frame accurate" system, which uses e-tracs, shaft encoders, and a super hi-tech synchronizer which allows us to do absolutely perfectly-synced two-projector 3D, with even the shutters in absolute sync. That system is super expensive, but the concept he is looking for is just to keep the loop the same size, without drifting, over a run time of around 2 hours, or possibly more.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-05-2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Studio projectors (think Kinoton or Sondor) are made to sync with dubbers and other equipment and should be able to be made to do this without much trouble. I assume that they would be cost-prohibitive for this application, however.

Another possibility would be to have a single motor to drive both projectors using a chain, gears, or toothed belts.

Gordon's method is the best and most straightforward, however.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2016 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Kinoton E series should do the trick nicely.

Mark

Jae Song
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 07:43 PM      Profile for Jae Song   Author's Homepage   Email Jae Song   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you again! Yes - I suppose there can be a little slippage / drift - 4-5 frames in 2 hours or so. As is if ran for 1 hour it slips 40-50 frames.

I will look into all this - thank you so much!

and the speaker issue can be solved - I don't have a problem playing the audio out in separate speakers.

I didn't think about 3D projectors...
I do have 1 really large project - in the future hopefully I will be able to do it.

You guys are awesome!

And again - if anyone can help build machines or know anyone that can help me swap out motors please let me know.

Thanks again!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-05-2016 08:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you have Fotokem blow that up to 35mm? If so this would probably be a lot easier than trying to deal with it on 16mm.

Jae Song
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 09:05 PM      Profile for Jae Song   Author's Homepage   Email Jae Song   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all 35mm projectors run with synchronous motors?

Where can I buy a couple of 35mm projectors? I looked on ebay and I couldn't find many that would work with the installation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: