Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 Output Distortion and Panel Meter Glitches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP500 Output Distortion and Panel Meter Glitches
Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 10:28 PM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

My CP500 has developed an odd intermittent problem. Occasionally one channel of audio output will sound distorted after power-up. This sounds like it's happening in the digital domain, almost as if it's missing one or more bits of precision, very similar to a "bit crusher" effect. The issue is present with any input selected. The first time I heard the issue it was in my front left channel, and most recently it happened in the right surround. In both cases, power-cycling the processor solves the problem.

To make matters worse, when I power-cycled the processor after the last occurrence of this issue, my front panel meters started showing periodic high level spikes on the Rs and SW channels (even with a silent source), while the outputs sounded fine with no clicks/pops/distortion. While passing audio, the meters also started frequently freezing for several seconds at a time before updating again. This processor has always had some sort of "phantom level" on the SW meter since I acquired it, but this is much worse.

I'd have to verify, but I think I'm on the latest software revision. Also, the clock stability modification has already been performed from the factory.

Has anyone else noticed instability in these areas? Should I start looking at capacitors, or any specific boards? Component-level troubleshooting and repairs are not foreign to me, but any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated!

—Tom

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 11:08 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom

The vu meters freezing and the vu meters spiking with no sound is something I've seen before and AFAIK it's a known issue and you don't have to worry about that.

Please make sure you are on the latest SW which is 1.65.

Regarding the distortion, that is a known issue too but I am not sure whether it's ever been solved or not. The 500 had tons of known issues - some of those could be fixed by reworking, others by replacing components, others by replacing boards. I cannot honestly remember if the distortion issue was a fixable one, I'm sure others will be more helpful than me on this subject!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 04:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how long you've had this CP500 and if it was working without this distortion and display issues at one point?

Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 12:50 AM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info so far.

I've had this processor for probably a little less than a year. I got it off eBay, so its history is unknown. I've added the Cat 885 6-channel ADC and 683 crossover cards to suit my application in my home screening room, and also replaced the 5V 1F "super capacitor" on the Cat 984, which was physically leaking a bit. Apart from that, the components and PCBs look pristine.

There has always been some noise in the VU meter for the SW channel, with the meter randomly rising and falling without any signal I/O. I mentioned that to one of my friends, and he didn't seem at all surprised, so I figured it was a common and harmless issue. Since it got worse around the last occurence of audible distortion, I thought there might be some correlation. I've been a victim of troubleshooting coincidence enough times to know better though, so I realize they may not be related.

Since I've had the processor, and I use it a few times a week at least, I've heard audible distortion as I described only twice. Probably a couple few apart, with the most recent one being last Tuesday. In both cases, a power cycle eliminated the symptoms.

Signal flow would suggest the source of the distortion is either the Cat 675A DSP that's used for equalization, or the 684 that's telling it what to be and do. Of course the components look flawless, but I haven't tested any electrolytic capacitors yet. This may just be one of those little issues that has no reasonable explanation.

I work in broadcast television, and we have broadcast-quality HD video monitors that occasionally crash and have to be rebooted. Monitors! The days of digital device problems surprising me are long gone.

Well after all that, I just powered up my CP500 to check the software version, and I'm on 1.61. I thought for sure I was on 1.65. That's a real glaring issue right there!

More to follow when I get the thing updated, hopefully later this week.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 03:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Get rid of 1.61 ASAP, that's evil [Smile]

The subwoofer VU meter spiking at random is definitely "normal", I'm confident it's not related to the distortion you have heard.

I love the CP500 but it's not the best product made by Dolby. I'll see if I can find what was causing the distortion and see if there was supposed to be a solution.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-06-2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha! I'll never forget the CP-500 firmware version that caused the 500 to factory default. I was told by reliable sources at Dolby that it was written in the code to do this after so many power cycles by a disgruntled Dolby Employee. I think it was 1.28 or 1.32, or 1.46 or something like that. Dolby really pissed off a lot of new customers with that issue.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-06-2016 03:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What format is selected when you have this problem? We had a similar issue in a 6-plex, but only in SRD. Switching to an optical format (and leaving it there) or rebooting fixed it.

We never actually resolved this one, but it stopped happening when we stopped moving the SRD cards around from processor to processor (they had six screens. SRD readers in every projector, and six CP500s, but only three sets of SRD cards). The theory at the time was that it may have been a backplane issue. They were also running version 1.61 firmware, as it happens. If I remember correctly, this only happened on the first show of the day (when it did happen, which was only occasionally).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I experienced that too and my 500's were running 1.61 too.

Mark: [Eek!]

Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2016 01:53 AM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
What format is selected when you have this problem? We had a similar issue in a 6-plex, but only in SRD. Switching to an optical format (and leaving it there) or rebooting fixed it.
When it does happen, it's on that output/speaker channel, no matter what the input is. You can switch around between external 6-channel, nonsync, SR, etc, and it's there. I don't have a Dolby Digital penthouse yet, so I don't know about SRD. Interesting that you had distortion somewhere else, and reboots fixed it.

Well, I finished the upgrade to 1.65 tonight. Super easy with Load500 v2. The hardest part was lugging the XP desktop with the real serial ports upstairs!

So far so good! I rebooted the CP500 a couple times, and haven't seen bad meter readings yet. No distortion yet either. Only time will tell if that was all it needed!

I was skimming through my last post, and realized I called the Cat 685 an 885, and the 684 a 984. That's what I get for late-night typing. Oh well, I'm sure y'all knew what I meant.

I'll be doing some more screenings soon, so I'll keep an eye and ear on things closely and report my findings!

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine did the same with no effect on the sound. Some spiked, some didn't. Four different multi-plexes. All 500 processors. If your getting distortion from time to time, it might be coming from someplace else. Lots to check after or before the processor.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I finished the upgrade to 1.65 tonight. Super easy with Load500 v2. The hardest part was lugging the XP desktop with the real serial ports upstairs!
A Keyspan USB-to-RS232 adapter has never given me the slightest bit of trouble. I've used them on multiple laptops running both XP and Windows 7.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tripp-lite+keyspan+usa-19hs&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=78443082048&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14416756660006450799&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013962&hvtargid=kwd-75246 206808&ref=pd_sl_5vdlri4ehb_b

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-07-2016 04:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
The noise coming from some of the speakers was a known issue with the 500's. Probably your processors were not affected (it may be that there was something that could be done to remove the issue) but if someone reports of distorted sound which fixes itself with a reboot, it's most likely the 500 itself!

I have found a reference to an EFB 188 regarding improper noise and tones but unfortunately my notes do not specify what the EFB 188 is!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-07-2016 04:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the small jumper wire from case ground to low side of an output. Kinda not in all manuals.

Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2016 12:32 AM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if someone reports of distorted sound which fixes itself with a reboot, it's most likely the 500 itself!
Agreed! I've most certainly narrowed it down to the processor. I have some audio distribution amps in another frame, and a patch panel, but the reboots and my booth monitor rule out those things. The distortion was verified to be present immediately after the CP500, and not before. And the CP500 was the only device I rebooted to clear the issue. Well, the amps were powered down too for safety, but the booth monitor shows the distortion before the amps.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Don't forget the small jumper wire from case ground to low side of an output. Kinda not in all manuals.
Indeed, the chassis–signal ground jumper is in place on the CP500, and the CP500 is used as the central ground for all line-level devices. Not a ground loop in sight!

I ran a movie through it tonight (via external 6-channel in this case), and I didn't have any audio issues. Also tried some non-sync sources with the same result. However, the phantom meter levels came back, so that looks like a minor annoyance I'll be stuck with. I expected that, after all the reports of that being normal for others. As long as it's nothing in the audio! More monitoring to come.

Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2016 07:46 PM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audio distortion problem just happened again, this time in the center channel. So updating the software version wasn't the cause, though I am happy to be on 1.65 now. Since the issue happens on power up, I'm going to try turning on and off the CP500 with its power/bypass button, rather than the rack power distribution. Maybe the electrical noise from starting the other line-level equipment at the same time was causing problems. I always turn the power amps on after the Dolby/DTS/booth monitoring gear, so there shouldn't be any major power ripple from those. We'll see!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: