Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton Lamp House

Author Topic: Kinoton Lamp House
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2016 12:29 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I have just bought a Kinoton lamp house, does anyone have any documentation for these units?

Also, the reflector in my lamp house has two holes at the top of the reflector. There is a video on YouTube showing lamp replacement in these units where the holes are at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxffdw9IXyQ

Which is correct?

Thanks

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-15-2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Officially, One hole towards you and one up. The one towards you is so the arc can be adjusted via magnet and be visible with a welding mask.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2016 04:52 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply.

I am also trying to find out what the air flow should be of the fans built into the lamp house. I suspect someone has swapped these out in the past to something much too low. Could anyone let me know the flow or the model of the original fans? I have the smaller 1000w-2000w lamp house.

Many thanks

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2016 06:08 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I just replaced both of mine with this one from Jaycar.They are 105cfm. They seem to do a good job, but also don't forget the little forge type blower behind the back terminal of the bulb. That one adds extra cooling air to the back of the bulb.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/120mm-240v-standard-fan/p/YX2514

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2016 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian

Thanks for that, I would have thought that the fans would have to be somewhere between 200 & 300 CFM, but maybe the fan directly behind the lamp means that the case fans don't need to be that powerful?

It seems that the fan behind the lamp in my unit was running the wrong way and was hardly blowing at all, I have swapped this and it is much better!

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2016 01:59 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject, I am installing a 24v 250w Halogen lamp in my FP20 in place of the usual xenon. The tricky part is getting the position of the filament as close as possible to where the original arc would be. It's a bit fiddly, but I think it's close enough now. But some kind person can possibly let me have the dimension X in the accompanying photo please? It's the original small Kinoton lamphouse.
 -
 -

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2016 02:20 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian

I think the measurement will change depending on the lamp used, but you can find this information here

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/specialty-lamps/xbo/xbo-xtreme-life/index.jsp

Click the product data sheet link for the info.

Out of interest which lamp are you using, would be interested in the results.

Hope this helps

Steve

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2016 03:13 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's great thanks Steve - you gave me what I've just wasted half an hour trying to find!
I see that the distance I was looking for is 95mm.
So I went and measured what I had set the halogen filament at, and guess what? Exactly 95mm! Rule of thumb never fails hey!
Re the 24v 250w lamps, I have two different types:
Philips 7748XHP This is 50hrs life - 10,000 lumens.
Osram HLX64657 This is 300hrs life - 9,000 lumens.
The results from these with a good mirror are quite astonishing!
Thanks again!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: