Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stacked 4-Way system

Author Topic: Stacked 4-Way system
Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This probably belongs in a sound forum(that we don't have).

Never seen this before: 6xJBL5742s(stacked config) for the stage system. I was curious to what it would achieve performance wise?

Photo Link

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2016 05:47 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could belong in the digital forum. Does this auditorium have an immersive format? If so, those would be the stage height channels. (Although it is really odd that there is no LE and RE in this photos; I'm not aware of an immersive format that doesn't require these two channels.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2016 12:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, all photos need to be uploaded here, not linked to. Linking to an external server destroys the archive for future use.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-22-2016 02:12 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless those are discrete channels I'm not sure it would help the sound.

LF should have been coupled together to increase the sensitivity - scattering the bins like that is only reducing the maximum SPL.

HF will interfere with each other to be honest. If you have a very large auditorium you may consider the idea of having two narrow horns, one pointing at the, say, circle and the other as the stalls but those are not - I reckon - narrow horns and they'll just interfere with each other.

It depends on the auditorium to be honest but I'm sceptical! Do you have a picture of the seating area?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2016 03:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

...to keep in the archive

Almost looks like an IMAX install.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2016 06:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is how Barco's Auro does it. Just L, C and R with Height L, C and R. They do the same thing with the surround channels. it is a 5.1 system with another 5.1 height channels overlaid.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, does Auro make use of LE and RE channels if those speakers are present? I've seen Auro installed in houses with 5 stage channels. I thought the LE and RE were required, not optional.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-23-2016 12:20 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The channel layout in Auro does not support LE and RE channels. It's strictly two levels of L-C-R behind the screen. The surround field is all about height and no freaking back wall, thanks to no proper support of a basic 7.1 layout at the base level. Auro is almost two 5.1 channel layouts stacked on top of each other, with the sole difference being the ".1" channel on the height layer is assigned to a single ceiling channel.

BTW, adding to the compromise in Auro's design: the 11.1 audio track fits into the same file size space as a 24-bit LPCM 5.1 audio track. The base 5.1 layer is uncompressed 16-bit 5.1 audio and the height channels are stored in the other 8-bits worth of file size space, in a lossless compressed format. But it's all still 16-bit in the end rather than 24-bit.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-23-2016 04:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Atmos uses LC/RC channels but they are "optional". I don't recal if Auromax can utilize LC/RC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: