Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70MM Suicide Squad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70MM Suicide Squad
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2016 11:12 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are rumored to be 70 prints at this point any body get a call yet

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2016 09:26 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a rep at Warner's: "Not happening. The elements were delivered to late to create a 70mm print."

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2016 02:18 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- - but there will apparently be some 35mm prints, since a theater
owner here in the Bay Area mentioned to me he will be playing it in 35.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2016 02:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! When I saw 70mm Suicide the first thing that came to mind was running a 70mm film on a 35/70 XL. That is certain suicide for any 70mm print.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-19-2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
LOL! When I saw 70mm Suicide the first thing that came to mind was running a 70mm film on a 35/70 XL. That is certain suicide for any 70mm print.

Agreed!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-19-2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree more. Simplex3570 is a terrible machine.

Unfortunately it seems the biggest problem we are facing these days is that there are very few 70mm prints left in circulation, and we continue to have new theaters pop up and run 70mm festivals because they latched onto an old 70mm projector. It only takes one pass to damage these prints and they are quite literally irreplaceable at any cost since mag striping can't be done anymore and studios aren't even going to spend money on reprinting the later dts70 releases.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-19-2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we were running 70mm second run at the Tivoli in Downers Grove, IL in the 1980's we would always check the prints first and almost always any print from a Cineplex location would be trash because they used all 35/70 XL's. When we ran "Out Of Africa" I think the Chicago Exchange sent us every 70mm print they had gotten back a the time (5 of them!) from circulation so we could make up one good print to show, which we did. The film ran a long time on first run but I sure felt sorry for the people that had to endure those trashed prints at the Chicago Cineplex's.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2016 06:15 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Willow in plymouth mn is an old cineplex house i have one of those projectors ,it doses have its problems .as long as your careful it will run.never damaged a print yet. back in the day of T.A.P always got a 100%.All my cineplex waterfall curtains are still working yet.Thats cuz i worked here since it opened in 1989.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2016 07:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is so awful about the 35/70 Simplex? I have never seen them. My 70mm experience is with Norelco AA-IIs and Century JJs, both which work well (though I prefer the Norelcos). As far as I know, no one in this area had/has the 35/70 Simplexes.

Apparently, Radio City has Simplexes, so they can't be _that_ bad...can they?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2016 04:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! Where to start?

There is so much wrong with it I could write a book. The biggest issue is it is not a 35/70 projector, it's still a 35/65mm projector. Only the guides and pad rollers were moved open wider to accommodate 70mm film width. This leaves the very edges of the film unsupported as it moves through the machine. Poor manufacturing quality, mechanism is way too light for 70mm use. Has to be threaded to the exact perf or you ruin the whole print. Mag penthouse is not driven. Leaks oil, need kittly litter under it... etc. etc. etc.

Radio City has always had only Simplex from day one.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has to be threaded to the exact perf or you ruin the whole print.
The same is true on the JJ if the 35mm upper pad roller is left in place....

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio City has always had only Simplex from day one.
I've always wondered if they paid for them or were they a freebee.

My 70mm experience was with Norelco and Century JJs and like Scott, I preferred the Norelco machines.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ Agree.
Simplex should have built a unit from the ground up instead of adapting a unit to handle something larger. That large film stock was murder in that small case in more ways than one.

Like what GM did with 350CID motor and converting it to diesel back in the early 1980's: didn't modify the block to handle the higher compression that is needed for diesel usage, including the cams, which were the first to go.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I've seen the upper loop on a JJ change it's bounce position during a show, and of course it's definitely worse with polyester (dts) prints. Personally I never, ever run 70mm on a JJ without removing the upper 35mm pad roller, and if you ever find someone doing that please let me know so I can go beat them senseless for damaging the very last few 70mm prints we have in circulation. In fact I always leave a dedicated allen wrench for this in the mag penthouse so there is never an excuse. It takes less than 10 seconds!

Also the lower loop will cause scratches with ANY loop size if one of the loop stabilizer options is not installed. An unfortunate common problem among lousy projectionists is that they truly believe if the loop size does not come into contact with anything when turning the machine over by hand, that it won't slap and hit anything when running full speed. IDIOTS!!!

It's these same idiots that run a print once, don't see any significant difference on the second show and then proclaim themselves as some sort of archival projectionist god. What these guys don't pay attention to is the small amount of damage that is happening each show, whether it be a few more cinch scratches at the ends of the reel or a little bit more dirt or some surface scratches that aren't projecting to the screen yet. We also have people damaging mag tracks and laying scratches in the print outside their aperture area which will initiate shedding and also affect the projected image area at theaters with a larger aperture. However since they don't personally "see" that kind of damage they think they are all perfect. It's those kind of projectionists that are scary, and that also includes the projectionists who think just because they are running a print reel-to-reel that it is being perfectly handled and no damage is happening. Not necessarily! Damage is damage.

Here is a good example many of you probably have seen (or participated in). Lots of people run a loop of film and call it a "scratch test". Usually it's just a stretch of film, typically/hopefully of a bright scene. The idea is to make a loop and run it a ton of times to see if scratches develop.

I hate to have to be so crass about this, but...FOOLS! That is NOT the correct way to run a "scratch test".

What you need is a piece of VIRGIN BLACK printed film! The more recently processed the better. You also HAVE to have setup a couple of rollers to very carefully guide the film out and back into the projector to ENSURE that the loop cannot come into contact with anything. (Tricks like placing a soft cloth on the upper spindle is not acceptable.)

So first things first, very, very, very carefully look at the virgin black film under a bright light (use a magnifier if you wish) and make sure there isn't any marks on it at all. If so make careful notes of it.

Next make sure the projector is totally clean and thread a piece of film through it, single-side splice the virgin stock to the end of this and advance slowly so you never touch the actual virgin black loop. Then very VERY carefully, make the film into a loop with a single-sided splice and ensure it is sitting on the rollers. (A single-sided splice will hopefully break apart if your tension isn't set truly correctly, alerting you to yet another problem...but that's a different lesson.) Now turn the projector on, count how many seconds it takes for the loop to run and do the math so it runs A THOUSAND TIMES!

Yes you read that right. If the loop takes 12 seconds to run through the projector, run that loop for about 3 and a half hours.

Once you have done that, stop the projector so the splice is outside of the projector, carefully pull the splice apart and slowly advance the loop out of the projector being careful it doesn't touch anything (not just the floor...anything, including the projector case).

NOW get yourself an awesome light and a magnifying glass if you need to and look at it really, really damn good. Now remember kids, we are not looking THROUGH the film, we are angling the light so we are looking at the REFLECTION of light on the film's surface, as that will show marks best. Do you see ANY kind of abrasion? Even if it is outside the image area...is there ANY ABRASION AT ALL? Are you being sure to twist the film so the light reflects at different angles onto the film? Make sure you do!

Loop scratches will show up on black before they show up on pure clear film. Similarly any "surface scratch" will show up like this before it becomes a projectable-scratch. If something turns up...DO NOT RUN ANY MORE FILM UNTIL YOU RESOLVE IT!

Most JJs have the loop stabilizer roller, but the indention on it is very small, so depending on which way the film is curling will depend whether you should run over or under it (or scratches can happen).

A few JJs have the loop stabilizer rails. Those are by far THE way to run 70mm on a JJ, as there is simply no possible way for the film to be scratched. My guess as to why Century drifted away from them is that when threading it's actually possible to not lay the film flat on the rails, but you would have to be a total dumbfuck to not realize the film is twisted at a 90 degree angle in between the rails. [Roll Eyes]

I've proven countless times over the years that in excess of a thousand passes can EASILY be put on a print and it still be quite literally INDISTINGUISHABLE that the print had ever been through a projector before. (I think the most I've ever ran one print was about 1600 passes.) And yes I hold the first and last seconds of each reel to that same standard. Absolutely ZERO dirt buildup at the reel changes should occur.

Today we have scarce few remaining 70mm prints in circulation, and they ALL have damage on them. Because of this, it is super easy for a projectionist to say "oh that damage was there before I got it". And what's worse is we keep seeing more theaters that suddenly have 70mm capability that are running through those remaining 70mm prints in circulation with outstanding odds that they do not have a truly good technician proficient in 70mm setting up the gear, nor a truly good projectionists operating it.

Meanwhile, last December we had an interesting live demo of some of these self-proclaimed "archival" projectionists, as they were given a brand new print of Hateful Eight to run, and as we all know if the print was handed to a theater brand new, they can't blame the last guy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: