Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital brackets

Author Topic: Dolby Digital brackets
Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Do any of you have drawings of the metal brackets that connects a Dolby Digital Cat.700 sound head to a DP70?

Sigurd

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can picture it in my head but honestly, the factory bracket left a lot to be desired. You are really better off making a plate and sandwiching it between the upper magazine and the projector. 1/4" alumnium works nicely.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is just a metal plate that has 3 countersunk holes to bolt to the top of the DP70 and two threaded holes that match up to the slots in the bottom of the CAT 700.

Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys, that's what I'll do then.

Sigurd

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend to slightly slot those holes so you can use metal film to get things perfectly aligned. The alumnium lateral rollers on Dolbly scanners tend to wear quickly on one side if they are out of alignment by even a smidgen... If you have a BACP Penthouse reader available that is a better choice.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2016 09:44 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little more info. It is made from 1/2 plate. 5 inches front to back and 4 5/8 inches side to side with the firs 1 inch on the operating side milled 1/4 inch on the under side so it steps up to follow the casting on the top of the projector.

-

Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten around to doing the installation of cat. 700 readers on a couple of DP70s, so I'm picking up this thread again. Couple of questions: Seems to me that the only way to do this is to cut off the fire gate on top of the projector, right? And as far as I can see the readers should be fastened to the projector in front of the top reel house, right? We are screening change over with original DP70 reels, so it would need to go pretty far in front to avoid touching the quite big reels.

Sigurd

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you would be better of with 2 of the Kinoton Reverse Scan Analog/Digital readers?

-

There should still be some of them around...

Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2017 04:59 PM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Yes, that would be great. I'm on a tight budget on this though, and I have two cat. 700s laying around. Might also have to modify the Kinoton, as I need to be able to run both red and white light for analog reading of cyan and non cyan tracks.

Sigurd

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2017 06:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried using one of those Kinoton readers once. They are very lightly built but work ok. The part that REALLY sucks is it is a big job to re-led one.

I still prefer the BACP penthouse reader the best, The DTS timecode reader mounted inboard, and the original Phillips soundhead with the BACP Reverse scan conversion done to it.

-

-

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2017 06:08 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking the visible red works well for all.Pacific Film Archive in Berkeley has done a lot of test with different types and not had issues with the red readers they have.

Sigurd Wik
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2017 06:13 AM      Profile for Sigurd Wik   Email Sigurd Wik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for nice pictures, Mark.

Back when red light was implemented there was a lot of debate regarding red light reading on all prints, so I decided to do my own tests. I found similar things that Steve Guttag posted here in another thread, that quite a lot of older color prints sound very harsh. As we screen a lot of archival prints, this was unacceptable. I made recordings of it all, can find them if anyone is interested.

Also, once I was surprised to receive a print with a red sound track. Would have been interesting to screen that with red light.

Sigurd

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2017 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
Generally speaking the visible red works well for all.
Generally speaking, that is an incorrect statement. Crossmod distortion with red readers on conventional soundtracks are WELL documented and easily demonstrated, even without test equipment. The degree of audible distortion varies by density of the soundtrack so it is not a uniform thing from one movie to the next. Kodak has a good paper on it https://www.kodak.com/KodakGCG/uploadedfiles/motion/US_plugins_acrobat_en_motion_support_h44_h44.pdf

High-magenta tracks that only have a magenta layer prior to application were designed to work equally well (but not as well as magenta + cyan + application for white light or IR light) on red or white light readers.

So, when you conduct your tests, if you want to see what cross mod distortion can sound like, ensure that you are using the tracks that would show off the problem. Again, this isn't a theory but a very proven fact.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: