Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Paint colour info

Author Topic: Need Paint colour info
Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2016 10:35 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema equipment group here in Aust (AMMPT) located in Western Australia have recovered a pair of Philips (or Norleco) DP70 35/70mm projectors from a long closed venue in Perth.
One unit is in very good condition but the other has been subject to a lot of water damage & will need a complete repaint as part of the restoration process.
What look like a bronze-ish Hammertone paint on the good one is quite a lot different to the only 2 available Hammertone paints here in Perth. The bronze is way too bronze & a grey is also way off colour & it look like the original colour may have been somewhere in between.
Has anyone ever had to repaint or touch up some of these machines & if so any ideas as to the exact colour OR even where a suitable spray paint can be obtained.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as the intention is to restore these to beasts back to being operational again with a xenon lamp on the back instead of the original carbon arc lamps.
Ultimate aim is to be able to demonstrate screening of 35 AND 70mm film in a museum setting. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2016 03:50 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about paint, but I guess this exact hammertone color is just not available off the shelf. The original paint at Philips was not too consistent to begin with from batch to batch: clearly color differences and differences in the hammertone effect can be seen when you rebuild a machine from various parts. I have seen a lot of repaints and touch-ups over here that look terrible: I think the only way is to have paint custom mixed.
Good luck with the restoration! Those are the Perth - Plaza machines listed on in70mm.com ?

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2016 07:34 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the pictures in the Warehouse. The second one under screening rooms is of a custom job on some DP70s. Maybe someone has contact information for Bob Leader.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That paint is available in the USA a couple different ways. Bronze Hammertone comes in gallons or Spray Cans (oil base) from "Hammerite".

It is also available in powder coat form. I have done both over the years and honestly, it just depends on how durable a surface you want. If you go powder coat you need special green colored kapton tape to mask off the areas you don't want powder coated. You get that powder cured on an unwanted area and it has to be machined off!!

We generally used Hammerite on DP-70 main castings and Used Silver Hammertone powder paint on Simplex Valdeze (X-L) main castings. The powder coat really seals up the old porous main castings and basically stops the leaking.

Here is one of 8 DP-70 we rebuilt for a new multiplex back in 2006. These were refinished using Hammerite and one of our local preferred paint shops did the work for us and baked the finish on. We even had the cooling plates re-silvered!

IDK if you'll be able to bring paint over from the USA or not, but here is a link to it.

Hammerite

-

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-13-2016 01:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks gorgeous! Like the DTS reader, though I presume the reason it's there is that the multiplex knew that they were never going to play mag tracks (we do, regularly, so that wouldn't be an option for us).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2016 07:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo. The DTS mount of course accepts the 70mm DTS TCR. Its not that difficult to install the Mag Penthouse in it's place, although we never had a request to do that. None of the screens at this site had mag playback equipment. But 70mm DTS certainly. And you never saw such stable 35m DTS playback... We also did a 12 plex with all DP-70 among other sites. I think there were close to 60 of them between Utah and Wyoming at one point.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-13-2016 07:57 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have four of these projectors and am refurbishing and updating them for variable speed and putting back the 70mm mag soundheads.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-13-2016 08:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're contemplating a major refurb of our booth, and as part of that I'd love our DP70s/Norelco AAIIs to be fully refurb-ed. They're still super reliable, give a beautifully stable picture in both 35 and 70, and I love them very much, but they've been in constant service since their last major overhaul in 1999.

At TCM last month we showed a 35mm magoptical print of King of Kings from UCLA. We have a pair of Teccon 70-only heads that we'd been using for the 70mm mag shows we do semi-regularly before then, but for a tech check before the festival we dug out the 10-track OEM Philips heads that came with the projectors, to see what they sounded like with the UCLA print.

Everyone was very happy with an initial tech run that took place about a month before the fest (I wasn't there, so didn't hear it), and TCM sent Matt Kunau in to tune our MPU-1 with these heads a couple of days before the show. He used a 1990s THX analyzer and laptop to do it with, which revealed that, apart from a very slight HF numbness on the left channel of projector 2, everything was very good.

After the show, we had feedback as to how great it sounded, which, for a print and A-chain hardware that is well over half a century old, is pretty amazing. I'm sure that the inherently wonderful design of the DP-70 mag film transport was a big part of that, especially in minimizing wow and flutter. It's great to see the original Jan-Jacob Kotte mag head pretensioner re-used for the DTS reader in that picture!

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2016 09:46 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for info Mark, have passed that along to the group now up to them to work out which colour & more importantly HOW to get the stuff from USA to Australia.

Lindsay

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I abandoned every one I that pulled out right next to the new Digital system. I have a bad back and left knee from working with these beasts for too long.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: