Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound and acoustics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sound and acoustics
Ted Uzzle
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2016 02:09 AM      Profile for Ted Uzzle   Email Ted Uzzle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might we not benefit from a new forum dedicated to sound, acoustics, and noise control? Whether film, digital, home theater: sound behaves the same.
This is my wheelhouse. I think I can bring in experts to help solve problems of all audio and noise-control acoustics. Anybody want? If not, that's okay too.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second this request. For one thing, it would be nice to group all audio topics together in one place. Additionally, sometimes an audio topic could apply to both film and digital. If it's a solar cell issue, it's clearly film. If it's an AES channel mapping issue, it's clearly digital. But if it's a B-chain issue, it's probably format-independent. So do you post it in FHF, or the Digital forum? Why not have a forum dedicated to audio?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good idea

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-01-2016 09:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ioan Allen's excellent booklet for architects is a great place to start if you are building new. Thx was a direct copy of the Western Electric Blue Book from the 1930s. Nothing new under the sun; just an unwillingness to pay attention and get something proper built. (If fact, thx and blue book are sequentially the same, paragraph for paragraph with a good deal of updating.)

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-01-2016 02:40 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Architects seem to despise following someone else's recommendations. I've seen lots of innovative accoustic "solutions" that just didn't work.
Build walls as solidly as possible, isolated double walls with absorption between them are really needed between rooms. Add absorption on the walls to get the reverb time down and give some intelligibility to dialog. Put in enough speakers and power. It isn't rocket science.
Putting each room and its walls on a floating floor slab is really nice (THX screening room spec) but I doubt if any commercial cinema is built that way.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting subject area. I'm on several SMPTE standards committees on cinema sound systems. Here are some topics for discussion:

1. What audio analysis method do you use in setting up equalization? RTA, Impulse Response, other?

2. How many microphones do you use in the audio analysis?

3. Do you use graphic (typically 1/3 octave) with shelving filters, parametric, finite impulse response, or other filters for equalization?

4. Do you use automatic equalization systems in sound processors? Why or why not?

5. How often do you do a "maintenance check" of equalization? What do you typically find has changed during such a check, if anything?

6. In adjusting equalization, do you adjust "to the line" of SMPTE 202, or use minimum filtering that stays within the limits of SMPTE 202, or some other method?

7. How do you set SPL? Methods include C-weighted with full band pink noise, 1/3 octave RTA between 500Hz and 2kHz. Others?

8. What fader level are you generally playing movies at?

Harold

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2016 05:25 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI theater that used to be at the Kennedy Center in DC had car hoods mounted on the right side wall to cut echo. That was a cinder block wall that backed up to the stage of the Eisenhower Theater.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2016 08:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thnk it's a great idea to have a sound section on here, the sound section could be further divided up into different areas.... This may attract more industry people too.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2016 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also think it's a good idea. Sound topics can get lost among the other things.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-01-2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone seems to agree that it's a sound idea. [Smile]

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2016 12:34 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^HAAAAAAAAA!

quote: Dave Macaulay
Putting each room and its walls on a floating floor slab is really nice (THX screening room spec) but I doubt if any commercial cinema is built that way.
Great, another spec to add to my mental "future dream theater". I honestly hadn't ever heard of this idea.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2016 01:07 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of several commercial cinemas in Sweden which are built on a floating floor. A room within a room.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-02-2016 01:22 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are to reduce bleed-thru to the adjacent theatres and the reverse...to stop sound transferring to neighboring rooms, yes? Good idea, but a COSTLY one. Here in the US, exhibition doesn't seem all that concerned about patrons watching JUNGLE BOOK from hearing the explosions from the theatre next door screen running CAPTAIN AMERICA. They seem to think patrons don't really need 100% isolation. Theatre owners will invest a nice chunk of change in expanding the concessions counter, but invest in a floating isolation screening room....not so much.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-02-2016 05:06 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
7. How do you set SPL? Methods include C-weighted with full band pink noise, 1/3 octave RTA between 500Hz and 2kHz. Others?
I've been doing levels also looking at the RTA response when the curve is not very good - some uncorrectable frequencies or simply speakers which wouldn't go very low - as the SPL reading may just give an inaccurate value trying to compensate for the anomalies. In fact, the same applies to the LFE.

Glad to know it is something recognised in the industry, I did not know.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2016 01:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to float the whole theatre like at Dolby's screening room in a typical theatre. What you should do, and it isn't too expensive, is to cut the slab and put in an expansion joint.

Sound travels through solids better than air so if you can not have any continuous walls/floor between theatres, you are going to improve (reduce) the sound transfer between them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: