Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I want to be a projectionist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I want to be a projectionist
Ted Uzzle
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 12:33 AM      Profile for Ted Uzzle   Email Ted Uzzle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the son or daughter of a friend of yours came to you and asked, "I want to be a projectionist, do technical work in a cinema, will you help me?" ---what would you reply? "Here are some opportunities. . ."---or, "Run for the hills!"

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 03:29 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of a handful of theatres, "projectionist" is an obsolete position. In the modern projection room you need to be an IT person more than a mechanical person, and there is very little work to do on a day to day basis since there is nothing physical to deal with.

That being said, I would always be willing to consider hiring someone who showed a technical and/or mechanical aptitude. Many teenagers today are completely ignorant when it comes to anything mechanical, and many don't even know how to operate a wrench. If this person was interested in working as a regular employee at the cinema, I would be happy to teach them how the projectors work once I got a positive feeling about their work ethic, attention to detail, technical and mechanical aptitude, and willingness to learn.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 08:32 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I want to be a projectionist, do technical work in a cinema

As Justin said, there are no more "projectionist" jobs left outside of a few retrospect theatres and arts centers.

As to technical work, ingesting files and building play lists is not really technical work. In most venues, technical work is handled by either an outside vendor or for larger circuits, their technical support department.

If just working in a Cinema is the goal, then getting into management is the way to go. If the interest is technical, going to college or trade school for IT and electrical engineering is the way to go, or getting a service/installer to take on an apprentice.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Many teenagers today are completely ignorant when it comes to anything mechanical, and many don't even know how to operate a wrench.
Why is this? We keep hearing that today's teens are the brightest, smartest, best generation of human beings to ever come along, so why can't they DO anything? I have a couple of kids in our concession stand who find the task of leaving a total of exactly $100 in the till at night completely baffling. And they're honor roll students who can operate cars and smartphones!

But yeah, agreed with the above posts, "projectionist" is a lost job these days.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 12:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just consider the utter lack of film and the technical requirements of the recently-posted position opening at Imax.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will probably be a very small number of actual projectionist jobs remaining (as in, ones that involve film handling and presentation), in the medium term at least, almost all of them in arthouse, repertory, university campus, archive screening theatres, and cinematheque type venues. I would suggest that anyone contemplating trying to train from the ground up to enter that line of work needs the following:

1. An affinity for technical/engineering and artistic/cultural issues. I've encountered many projectionists who know their Renoir from their Welles but can only just thread a machine (and even then, not accurately and every time), and those who can strip and rebuild a Norelco while drunk and blindfolded, but, in the words of my first boss, regard film as being something "that is this wide [holds thumb and forefinger roughly 35mm apart] and goes through a projector." Either person is guaranteed to have trouble working in the few remaining places that are likely to continue to need old school projectionists.

A major aspect of this is that you will need to deal with curators and programmers who believe that they are God's gift to their locale's cultural scene and have disappeared so far up their ass that they're in danger of re-emerging from their nose, ideally without losing your cool. Festival programmers and curators (many of whom are failed filmmakers and thus have chips on their shoulders) are, with a small number of honorable exceptions, some of the gnarliest people you'll ever have to deal with. They have spent many years playing God with filmmakers, deciding which entries that land on their desk are worthy of their patronage and which are not, and therefore their attitude to lowly technicians is that they are very much an inferior life form - of a lower caste even than bad filmmakers.

2. Related to which, the ability to work through technical issues with people who don't understand them and never will. "But I can do this on my Mac - why can't you do it exactly the same way in your theatre?" is a very familiar refrain you're going to have to develop strategies to defuse. You will also encounter the "little knowledge is a dangerous thing" syndrome as well, especially from academics. I was once forced to show Seven Samurai in 1.85, because the professor introducing the screening had seen it that way on an incorrectly transferred VHS copy and insisted that this was correct. Despite the fact that opening titles, foreheads, you name it, were all cropped, the manager sided with her, and even responded to customer complaints after the show by saying that she had pronounced this to be correct, and so it had to be correct. In situations like that, you just have to grit your teeth, smile, accept that you'll lose some of those battles, and unload about what an effing idiot this person is to co-workers later, which is MUCH easier said than done.

3. An acceptance that they'll spend many years learning a skill set, a lot of it by self-teaching, and much of which is not in any way transferable to any other job. If they have any sense, they will maintain currency in another line of work, because they'll probably need to in order to be sure of being able to earn a living.

4. Any please still showing film is likely to be showing DCPs as well, and Powerpoint presentations, stuff from files on a laptop, setting up mics and other a/v stuff. So at least intermediate level IT skills are also essential. A major part of the technical work of festivals that attract first time or low budget entrants is sorting out the mess of homebrew DCPs that some hippie with a cannabis resin-stained Macbook Pro has f****d up the authoring of in some way or another.

5. They will need to be a self starter, able to work largely on their own and unsupervised, and a problem solver. AFAIK, only one of the big service companies (Boston Light and Sound) still offers any sort of formal service for film projection booth maintenance and repair, and so the chances are that if something significant breaks down, you won't just be able to lift the phone and call a 24hr helpline operated by a vendor with whom you have a service contract. A big part of your job will be to keep obsolete equipment, that is no longer supported by its manufacturer, on life support.

6. Accept that you will need to work antisocial hours (as someone who is juggling being a projectionist with raising a three-month old child, I can assure you that once you get past your 20s, the evening working becomes an issue), and may need to make regular long distance relocations if you want to advance in your career unless you are based in one of the few places that has a more than one venue that still hires projectionists (e.g. LA or NYC).

7. "Back in the day," when there was still a proper workforce of projectionists, it was a common career route to transition into installation and service work. It still could be for the few that remain, but keep in mind that this work will be almost exclusively digital. The job posting linked by Bill above gives a pretty good idea of what that work will involve.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 01:58 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I used to be a projectionist, now I'm in IT"

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the son or daughter of a friend of yours came to you and asked, "I want to be a projectionist, do technical work in a cinema, will you help me?" ---what would you reply? "Here are some opportunities. . ."---or, "Run for the hills!"
I would ask him or her if he or she actually knows that the job of the average "projectionist" actually entails nowadays.

Unlike the VHS tape, film has more redeeming qualities than just pure nostalgia. It won't fade away entirely in the foreseeable future.

So, I guess it starts with assessing someones affections. If someone wants to do something with film, there's still work. If he or she thinks there are still humans at work behind the porthole of your average multiplex, he or she might best be served with some light form of reality adjustment therapy.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
"I used to be a projectionist, now I'm in IT"

"I used to be a heroin addict, now I'm a methadone addict"
----"Annie Hall" (the movie not the character)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though we are digital and with no booths (boxes) to speak of, I still get called, "The Location's Projectionist", even though I'm also one of the location's assistant mgrs.

Instead of being in front of the the splicer and makeup tables, now, I reside in front of a TMS and babysit Barcos.

Yep, a dead term in the digital realm.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 04:13 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What should we reply?

Become independently wealthy, build a real (reel) home theater, and take it up as a serious pastime.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 05:06 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Run for the hills!"

Paul Dorobialski
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 05:52 PM      Profile for Paul Dorobialski   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Dorobialski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember wanting to be a projectionist as a kid. I made it to the projectionist club in grade school, junior high, then on to high school where I helped run the av department. Later on I would become a union booth operator in 1977. I never look at it being a 'strange' job as my friends would say. I did get to see many a film, installed new advances in film projection & sound, removal of equipment from closed theaters, etc. I just wish automation didn't eliminate the position. I only wish I was in the booth in the 1950's.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 06:50 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the "Plan B" career choice isn't "Radio D J."

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 07:59 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/worst-jobs-2016

Harold
(who used to work in radio)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: