Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10 PROBLEM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS XD10 PROBLEM
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2016 11:25 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my pile of players i got a few that boot up with this, LOADER U 1.04 [444A] INITIALIZING What do i have to do to fix?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-01-2016 11:34 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
System image corrupted or HDD failed?

If it were me, I'd replace the HDD on spec with a new one (if you can still find an IDE new one; you may need to use a SATA to IDE converter if not), that is totally blank, i.e. the partition table just rewritten. Then boot the latest version of the software CD and let it repartition the HDD and rewrite the system image.

The only problem is if you have show audio ingested that you don't want to lose and don't have the discs for. But if your hard drive has gone bad, you're going to have that problem no matter what.

Edit / Afterthought: if you connect a monitor to the VGA output on the back of the unit, this will give you more information as to where in the boot sequence it's hanging: whether still at the BIOS initialization stage, or after it's started reading program code from the hard drive. Bad CMOS batteries can cause a hang at the BIOS initialization stage.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2016 12:17 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Leo on putting a monitor on it and see if you get video. Take the cover off and listen for the beep at the end of the POST. If you are getting a series of beeps it is likely bad RAM or Motherboard. Could be cap rot.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2016 01:33 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank guys for the info, any particular brand of hard drive it likes better.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-02-2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm aware of. When I replaced one that did the click of death about a year ago, I just bought a "new, old stock" 160GB IDE enterprise grade one on Ebay, installed it, booted from a final version software CD (2.something, if I remember correctly), and it reinitialized and rewrote the software quite happily. I can't remember what brand of drive it was. There then followed some fun-packed hours of reingesting all the audio from a stack of CDs and DVDs, but it's worked happily ever since.

If it's not the hard drive, I second Stephan for checking out capacitor plague: I'm told that this did affect quite a lot of XD-10s. You should be able to see if you have that problem when opening the case: bad caps look like this:

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-02-2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad capacitors on the mommy boards are I'm afraid are quite more common than failed hard drives are. I can't even tell you how many XD-10 MB's I re-capped over the years. Well over 50 though.

I wrote up Re-capping XD-10 Motherboards some years ago...

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-04-2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because we started stocking them, I changed a set of XD10s over to the popular 1TB Hitachi (HGST now) Enterprise grade drives and used the SATA to IDE adapter boards. Zero problems. The site has four XD10s and all are networked so all of them are a backup for the others.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering they used consumer hardware, it should be possible to find a proper replacement for the hardware.

Is there anybody who want to sell one or two broken devices?

The pata - sata convertors are cheap on ebay. The network options sounds great (in combination with a VPN that should be very nice for home use with friends)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I don't think the version of Linux DTS used will see the full 1tb drive. I believe the maximum seen is either 320 GB or 500 GB.... There was a discussion of maximum drive size when I went to DTS for training on them.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2016 02:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, with the last version of software (2.2.06), you get about 800GB of film soundtrack storage (effectively every sound track they ever played with plenty of extra storage). You can also set the allocation of the storage to give film sound more space. From the factory, they allow quite a bit of space for video (these were to be preshow servers at one point too.) By adjusting that you can get about 800GB on a 1TB drive.

Again, I used them because I had a large quantity and had them for a VERY good price. This isn't theory...it is a done deal...several times over.

They just ran Hateful Eight for a couple of months without a hitch too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know, and who is going to go out hunting down 500GB HD's anyway. I honestly only ever had two or three HD's fail in them out of over a hundred units. But all the Mother Boards failed!

We also got all the CP-650's that had capacitor plague capacitors in the power supply.... every single one of those died too...

Mark

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2016 03:33 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering a lot of motherboards fail in the XD10, is there a possibility to use a alternative mainboard?

In the later models I see the usage of the P5P-800 VM , anybody has experience with a swap and what is possible (and what is not)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2016 09:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No! The bios is special just for the XD-10. The boards are very easy to re-cap, you just need the proper tools. There are also places that you can send the MB to that will repair them for you if you don't have the expertise.

Mark

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Any idea what's special and where the differences are? I can hardly believe they did so much special in the BIOS of the mainboards. It's consumer hardware and they switched brand/chipset/cpu on later models.

Thanks for your help

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS 6 and 6D also used common MB's but had a special bios.
I have seen both XD-10 MB's for sale on Ebay. But you have to realize that its likely you will have the same capacitor plague issue with those MB's too. Fixing the existing MB will permanently fix the issue at hand. The Version 1 MB was more prone to capacitor plague failure than the version 2, but version 2 caps still also fail. And the two versions are not directly interchangeable with each other because of differences in the chassis. I was one of the few that was lucky enough to get training on XD-10's right at the factory. You can convert a version 1 unit to a version 2 but there is different sheet metal and power supply changes to be done. It cost USD 1200 to have DTS change to the newer V-2 MB.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: