Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projecting 3-D in 1953 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projecting 3-D in 1953
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2016 03:46 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
The next time you watch a vintage 3-D film on Blu-ray and simply insert the disc and hit play, think about how 3-D films were projected in theaters sixty-three years ago.

As Jack Theakston wrote in his excellent article, WHAT KILLED 3-D?: "Projecting dual-strip 3-D is a science. I draw the line between an "art" and a "science" because for all practical purposes, a science is based on rigid fact and standard, whereas "art" utilizes talent and imagination. In order for a dual-strip 35mm presentation to work correctly, standards must be applied and adhered to at every performance."

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/what-killed-3D

-

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-30-2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of checklist would have been familiar to a projectionist in 1953 who was coming to the end of his (or just possibly, her) career and had been around for the transition to sound. Here is one from the 1920s:

-

Interesting that this assumes that there is no automated changeover shutter - the changeover has to be accomplished by manual douser operation by a projectionist at each machine. What with the audio as well, it's not hard to understand why a booth in those days required 3-4 projectionists to put on a show.

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a terrific document Leo, thanks for sharing!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-30-2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have been fortunate because all the 3D shows I saw in the fifties were flawless and I saw a lot at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu and the Pearl City Theatre near where I lived. They were all perfectly projected because I did not get eye strain or headaches or any other kinds of discomfort many people had complained about after viewing 3D films in the fifties.

-Claude

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2016 11:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that it sounds like there were separate prints for L and R. Is that correct? It doesn't seem like it would be because you would have to have an intermission between every reel.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2016 11:35 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was one reel left eye one reel right. This is where 6'000 reels were introduced. Prints were shipped on 6'000 reels in canisters much like 70mm canisters. Two 6'000 reels in each canister. Normally just one intermission. I ran some of this stuff in the 80s. Kiss Me Kate, Dial M for Murder several time, It Came from Outer Space, the two 3 Stooges shorts in 3D. This is with carbon arc lamps. The first reel of Dial M took a full positive trim. You need the full travel if not you lost your light before the end of the reel.

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
The prints were shipped on four 23 or 24-inch reels. Parts one and two left and right side.

Every feature had a built-in intermission point around the 50 minute mark. Part two of the movie was usually 30 to 40 minutes and any shorts, cartoons or trailers were added after the feature.

There's a picture of an original left side shipper and single reel near the bottom of this page: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/gog

Each side with two reels and shipper was 75 pounds so you had 150 pounds for shipping each 3-D feature. Imagine lugging those up to the booth of the old palaces!

-

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-31-2016 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inflation adjusted from 1952:

$200 --> $1858
$230 --> $2137
$14 --> $130
$5 --> $46

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2016 10:26 AM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some of the bigger theaters in major cities, to bypass intermission, they had four projectors and made change-over from two machines too two machines.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Stephan, I projected a bunch of dual-projector 3D stuff for a couple
of 3D festivals or revivals in the late 70's & early 80's.

For at least one of them, I was even running double-system sound, so
I had to deal with 2projectors and a sound-track follower.
- - and carbon arcs! It took some skill, but it wasn't impossible, to get
both lamps burning at the same intensity & color temperature. But if
you knew what your were doing you got through it OK.

quote:
shipper was 75 pounds so you had 150 pounds for shipping each
3-D feature. Imagine lugging those up to the booth of the old palaces!

Back in
the 50's and even into the 70's when I was doing the shows I
mentioned above, it was a 'union job' so I didn't have to worry about
getting films up to the booth since the contract forbade the operator
from actually carrying film cans. ( ! )

(Although that doesn't invalidate your point- - they WERE heavy- -
no matter who got stuck lugging them upstairs)

I had a DejaVu moment on this last fall when the theater I was at
had to hire professional movers to get the 70mm Hateful 8 print up
3 floors the booth. I certainly couldn't do it, and either company policy
or child labor laws or somesuch nonsense kept the regular floor-staff
theater critters from doing it.

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
The Unions demanded two operators in the booth for 3-D in 1953 and if they were running interlock mag for stereo, a third operator. That caused many problems and at least one circuit in LA dropped the stereophonic sound rather than pay for a third man.

-

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2016 04:37 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing. When I was in the Union one guy could operate twin theaters as long as they had 6000 ft. reels. Carbon arcs were prevalent back then although some houses had xenon. Some booths still had the 3D interlock. The only times I worked with another operator was for nitrate, 70mm or a triple.

Ted Uzzle
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2016 01:21 AM      Profile for Ted Uzzle   Email Ted Uzzle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went off to college in 1967, I brought a Stereo Realist camera with me, and 3D still photography was my hobby for years. Working my way through college as a projectionist, and for some years after, I never projected a 3D movie. Never seen one, either! --Although there are some shots in "Dial M for Murder" that scream: 3D effect (crane shots over Ray Milland's head, looking down). Anaglyph DVDs, such as "Final Destination 4," coming with the colored glasses, don't work for my tired old eyes. Gotta get my butt in gear, out to IMAX on Navy Pier.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-14-2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
Amazing. When I was in the Union one guy could operate twin theaters as long as they had 6000 ft. reels.
I just dealt with the leading edge of the 2-D side of this. For awhile in the mid-70s, I worked at a twin for the Seattle local... two booths, over-the-roof walkway between them, 6,000 ft reels, automated Eprad Co-Operator changeovers. We never had much trouble with the setup, though we didn't always know what was going in the other booth. I rigged a couple of doorbells to the Co-Operators to fix that. two "dings" to indicate the other booth was going into changeover, and continuous "ding-dong" to indicate an alarm.

(Drastically testing the limits of my memory here...) When the Seattle Cinerama opened in '62, I think I remember being impressed that a 3-strip show required a master control operator, one operator for each of the 3 projectors, another for the sound unit and, for reasons I don't know, a stage hand down front... all union guys from Local 15 and 154.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2016 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted Uzzle of Altec and Theatre Application Notes (TAN) fame?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: