Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Oil Leak...Kinoton PK 60D

Author Topic: Oil Leak...Kinoton PK 60D
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 12:44 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a persisting small oil leak coming directly from under the intermittent housing, operators side where the intermittent sprocket shaft goes through the case. It's not "pouring" but is starts leaking after about an hour of operating time and stops when the projector is turned off.
I'm assuming it's the intermittent seal.
My question is has anyone had this issue and how much trouble is it to replace? The manual has a step by step tear down, build up section but that doesn't tell me how much trouble it actually is.
Can anyone comment on the complexity of the repair?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2016 12:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost exactly the same as an FP-20 and I've done several of those. Not hard if you have some technical abilities.... Its good to also replace the shaft when you replace the seal because you'll find a ring of wear on the shaft where the seal lip has been riding... A new seal may get torn up by that wear spot or it may never seat properly. Other then also replacing the sprocket shaft it's pretty painless. Its also very similar to a Ballantyne Pro 35.

Mark

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark.
Best source for Kinoton seals and shafts?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Light & Sound is the only source now that I know of. Some dealers might have stuff laying around....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-17-2016 05:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the dealer, there may be a direct contact with Kinoton Digital Solutions, that may have stock as well. I'd start with either your dealer or BL&S though.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2016 04:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really need the seal fitting tools Kinoton sell/sold to dealers, or at least some sort of equivalent. In a pinch I've used the best fit I could find from my socket set. It's important that you drive the seal in on it's edge, thereby not distorting the lips.

Also, good practice is to lubricate the shaft before insertion, that way the seal doesn't start up dry, which is what damages a lot of lip seals.

Dom, here's a trick that has got me out of trouble with a leaky oil seal a few times, at least until it can be renewed.
Drain the oil, put a tablespoon or so of automotive brake fluid in, then refill to normal level. Not anything fancy in terms of brake fluid, none of your new fangled silicon stuff etc. It contains an ingredient which slightly softens rubber seals and causes them to swell. I've done that on a handfull of Kinotons/Phillips over the years so that they can continue running without making a mess until I got there to fix it properly.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally stripped the entire film track unit completely off the projector and discovered there was an O ring which seals the oil in the intermittent housing (non operators side)that had become hard and brittle. Found the O ring at the hardware store for 89 cents, replaced it and the leak is fixed. Neither of the front or real sprocket seals were actually leaking.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2016 04:21 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only concern I would have about the hardware store o-ring Is what it is made of. Real rubber and oil do not get along. Neoprine is okay. Some stuff made for water can be real rubber.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: