Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ISCO Ultra Anamorphic MC 2X Question

Author Topic: ISCO Ultra Anamorphic MC 2X Question
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a stupid question even as I type it, but I have not adjusted an ISCO scope lens in a few decades.

How do you unlock it so that you can adjust the distance/astigmatism. My vague memory is that you turn the outer ring, but on the lens I need to adjust, the outer ring does not move (or is frozen).

Before I take my huge monster pliers and force it to turn, I want to verify that this is what I really want to do.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the one where you pull the outer ring out to turn it then push it back in to lock it?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think you must loosen a set screw on the side. Maybe two of them but it's been a while.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I have one in front of me, on this one it seems that the ring at the very front of the lens locks the main distance setting ring.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 04:01 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't recall if that lens has the ring or the set-screw to lock it.

If it has a locking ring:
I had an old Bausch & Lomb Cinemascope lenss on which the
locking ring was totally frozen up. Someone told me that there
was some chemical component in the original grease used on
those lenses which, over the years, combined with moisture
in the air to corrode the aluminum threads.

I got mine free by using an automotive oil-filter wrench (after
protecting the circumference of the ring with a felt strip) while
carefully heating the ring to expand it slightly using one of
those hot-air guns used for shrinking heat-shrink tubing.

Worked for me. . .

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it more...I believe the front lock ring has a set screw. Loosen screw and then loosen ring or something like that.
[Big Grin]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-12-2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at a picture of a lens that might be what you have... I think the two knurled rings turn independently - the front one locks the back one (the adjuster). Been a long time for me, too...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This all depends on the era of the lens you have. A picture would be very helpful. Occasionally, so is a hammer...

Mark

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered, I think we have one of these lenses on our old V8 not used anymore. Here is a pic if it helps. That ring seems to pop off revealing those two screws you see in the slot on the side. Cant remember what they are for now, It's years since we have used it. The outer ring turns although its quite stiff.

-

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2016 04:46 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your help.

It turns out that there is a tiny lock screw for the outer locking ring. Upon loosening the screw, the outer ring turned freely which unlocked the adjusting ring.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2016 10:47 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I win!!!!! [Smile]

Sorta [Razz]
Glad you got it. [beer]
I'm so used to handling the ISCO Ultrastars that I blocked out the older models a bit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: