Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Early Model Kinoton FP30 Documentation

Author Topic: Early Model Kinoton FP30 Documentation
Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2016 12:44 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

I'm hoping somebody may be able to assist me with access to any available documentation for earlier FP30 and FP30D projectors. I've seen most of what is currently floating about online, which appear to be in relation to more recent units, and unfortunately, the internals, specifically the terminal blocks at the bottom of the units, appear to be quite different to what I have here. To compound the problem, four out of the five machines I have have had significant wiring modifications to accommodate a local chain's proprietary automation systems, resulting in numerous loose/cut wires, which I'm not sure whether are intentionally disconnected, or were cut during their removal from their former location. My ultimate intention is to remove the remaining automation components and return the units to factory specification.

Any help that anybody may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Adam

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-19-2016 03:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be best to give the vintage of your units. Kinoton varied their wiring greatly over the years...there is commonality but since Kinoton was always a configurable machine, you are going to get variations even in the same year based on how it was ordered. It was not uncommon to get schematics specific to machines ordered rather than just general documentation.

To a degree, things became much more unified in the circa 2000 and beyond though there were variations, they seemed to build everything off the same base wiring rather than unique harnesses per machine. So even if you didn't have auto turrets, the wires were still there.

In the older stuff, even voltages can vary (including for changeover dowser, framing lamp...etc. There are commonalities but again, it would be best to know at least the vintage. In the US, the FP30 was not as popular as the FP20 (pre "D" for direct drive). We were selling all FP20/28s before 2000 and all FP30/38Es afterwards with maybe 4 FP30Ds in the post 2000 time frame. However, the FP30D wouldn't look like a vintage FP30 with respect to wiring.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for such a detailed reply, Steve.

Having poked around in them for a while the other day, the best I can come up with is around 1988-1989, based on some installation and service tags that are in a couple of the machines. This also fits with the "Made in West Germany" serial plate, as I believe that occurred in 1990.

I've taken some quite close photographs of the colour coding on the terminal blocks, and am in the process of drawing them out, including what I've been able to trace. I'll post it up here when I'm done, in case it's of assistance to anybody else.

Thanks again, and I'll check back in soon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: