Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bodine motor wiring?

Author Topic: Bodine motor wiring?
Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have a Bodine 48Y5BFDY motor that I am not sure what the correct wiring is?

It has a total of 4 wires:
BLACK
BLUE
black/yellow
blue/yellow

...but not sure what each wire is? There didn't appear to be a ground wire either. I would like to wire it to a single pole switch.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Erik

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 02:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the Bodine website, and select the diagrams for AC "motors and gearmotors" in the pdf link.. :
Linky There is another number on the mameplate you need to match up with for the correct diagram though (example 074 10292).

If you can't find a match you can contact Bodine and they can usually tell you what the correct wiring is, and whether or not you need run and/or start capacitors.

If they come back saying it's an OEM motor, try either Strong or Christie as they both used Bodine motors for their projectors.

Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2016 09:46 AM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Tony. If I can't find that number on the motor, my best bet is probably to email the company with my motor specs. Thanks. Erik

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-07-2016 10:43 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

I did make an error in the previous post..the number you'd need is actually the motor's Serial Number...the example I gave is an actual wiring diagram number.

Use the search function on the Bodine home page to enter the serial number. If it gives you the message about being an OEM motor, try contacting Bodine directly. (IIRC last time I did, I had to try a few different techs before I got one that would tell me the right diagram number...this may have changed since film projectors went out of production.)

And as I said before, if all else fails contact Christie or Strong for the info.

Yet another option may be to try taking the motor to a local motor repair shop, they should be able to figure it out as well.

Oh, and RE the ground wire: Simply attach your own ground wire to any screw point on the motor frame, be sure to scrape or sand any paint off to ensure good contact.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-07-2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wire colors indicate it's very probably a reversible motor.
Blue goes to line in L1, blue/yellow to line in L2 (these will be neutral and hot for 120VAC motors). The black and black/yellow wires also go to L1 and L2, just switch them around to get the rotation direction you need.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-08-2016 11:18 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, you are right, and wrong also. [Smile]

Yes it is a reversible motor, and commonly interchanging the striped leads reverses direction.

However, it is not cut and dried, if you look at the diagrams in the link I gave, there are all sorts of possible combinations, and some require a capacitor on the blue lead in series with the line input.

It is important that Erik verifies exactly which motor he has, any misconnection will most likely burn up the motor quickly.

In reality, if he got the motor for free and doesn't care if it ends up a paperweight, there would be no real harm in trying the different combinations of connections until he gets the right one, where the motor runs reasonably quiet and cool. (To do that safely, have a robust switch or power strip, do it outdoors and make sure the motor is grounded and DO NOT touch it while energized.)

Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2016 06:06 AM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for the info, I really appreciate it.

I was able to get the motor working in the correct direction. It was BLUE-YEL to BLACK-YEL and BLACK to BLUE. I emailed Bodine (waiting reply) to verify and to see if a capacitor is required. I am hoping it matches up to the 074 10293 on the diagram, where a capacitor is not necessary. The projector ran smooth and the motor sounded good… but I only ran it for less than a minute to test it.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-09-2016 10:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did look at the wiring diagrams: unless I missed something (totally possible), a Bodine motor with four wires those colors connects that way and does not need an external capacitor. Sync motors have a capacitor but it's usually solidly attached to the case (the lump on the side) and wired internally, I'm not sure if this one is synchronous or not. Slip motors mostly don't have capacitors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: