Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Batman vs superman in 70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: Batman vs superman in 70mm
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 06:38 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warners called this week to re confirm that we have 70 capability so we will see what happens.

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 06:43 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a different world from Hateful Eight because I'm sure Batman vs Superman will be finished digitally and scanned back to film. So unless they finish in 8k, (which is doubtful) there really isn't any reason to bother making 70mm prints. I could see a 35mm release, but Force Awakens was pretty poor in 35mm. It looked very digital compared to Hateful Eight.

The next big photochemical 70mm films will probably be whatever Nolan and PT Anderson are planning to shoot in 2016.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 07:14 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very much liking this trend.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2016 09:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just not liking the movie. Just more comic book crap and its mainly digital effects anyway.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2016 09:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the mostly-practical efx in the Star Wars movie I was stunned by how phony and fakey the explosions, car wrecks, environmental disasters and other nonsense looked in virtually every action movie trailer that played with that film. Batman/Superman, AntMan, Deadpool, Captain America. They all look terrible in comparison.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 09:35 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Purcell
So unless they finish in 8k, (which is doubtful) there really isn't any reason to bother making 70mm prints.
The major digital effect sequences in Interstellar were film-outted at 6K for IMAX 15/70, and the results held up surprisingly well next to all of the photochemically processed footage. As long as they don't do a large amount of processing to make it look artificially sharpened like a lot of modern film productions, and don't do anything stupid like 2K effects upscaling, I imagine a 4K or 6K finish might look pretty nice on 70mm film. I don't know, maybe I'm just talking crazy.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 10:21 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and I doubt anyone cares besides Nolan.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-18-2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it is probably a marketing issue, as much as anything. The public has responded to the H8 "roadshow" screenings, and Warners is probably trying to cash in on some of that publicity, regardless of the technical merits.

I like film and I like 70mm, so I hope that they do it, anyway.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2016 11:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing how disappointing the image quality of "Force Awakens" was in laser Imax due to its 2K resolution, as I've said elsewhere, I'm ready to be done with Imax. And that's on the same screen that did 15/70 Interstellar, and yes, those 6K effect sequences really did look amazing from film and held up well against natural film sequences.

So 70mm from a 4K DI? I'd be interested in that. A shootout against 4K laser projection could be very, very interesting indeed. 2K? Nothing special. Tyler, the filmgoing public may be stupid and uninformed for the most part, but some of us really DO care.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 12:12 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Force Awakens looked great in 15/70, which I am assuming was from the 4K digital intermediate. If they do this right, Batman v. Superman, being a 4K DI, could look pretty darn good still since all the footage was captured on film. According to IMDB:

quote:
Cinematographic Process Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format)
IMAX (source format) (some scenes)
Panavision (anamorphic) (source format)
Panavision Super 70 (source format) (some shots)
Super 16 (source format) (some shots)

I'll pay to see it. Sad thing is, a lot of those 70 setups were in smaller rooms. [Frown]

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:04 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, a Disney employee confirmed to me that the Force Awakens DI was 2K due to time and budget constraints (excuse given) to get the movie finished before the end of the year. Yeah, like budget's a problem. Anyway. So the Imax 15/70 release was 2K to DMR except the brief legit 15/70 sequence. Still, I'm sure it looked sweet and wish I could see it there also.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:15 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Brandenstein
a Disney employee confirmed to me that the Force Awakens DI was 2K due to time and budget constraints (excuse given) to get the movie finished before the end of the year.
What a crock of shit.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. Budget constraint on a film that was poised to make billions, and did? You would also think that they would have to have decided to do 2K or 4K digital intermediate pretty early on, and how could that have been a last minute decision? I know the DCPs were all 2K, but the master itself? I'm still a skeptic.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 10:13 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya. Seems completely irresponsible in light of the situation. Untenable in light of Abrams' enthusiasm for film quality. But there is no hiding the fact that the Imax 3D 4K laser projector was putting 2K on the screen. Maybe the 3D conversion was the straw that broke this camel's back - not an unlikely cause for a quandary.

Personally I thought the 3D was decent and tasteful, but would've taken 4K over 3D.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-22-2016 01:48 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Warners release that crapfest of 3D called Clash Of The Titans hot on the heels of Avatar to cash in?

Now they want to cash in on the 7Omm success of H8?

Be afraid...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: