Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Binocular recommendations (for precisely focussing Hateful 8)

Author Topic: Binocular recommendations (for precisely focussing Hateful 8)
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2016 10:51 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I'm going to be running 'The Hateful Eight' in 70MM and I want to use binoculars to help achieve precise focus (it's a fairly long throw). My idea is that I'd be able to focus on the grain using binoculars, so I'll know that it's 100% in focus.

There's an inexpensive pair of Tesco 10x25mm I was looking at...would they be ok? Any particular suggestions?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-04-2016 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen many projectionists use field glasses to focus in long throw projection locations.

Drive-in's in particular since they have super long throws.

Saw a stage house that had a 187' throw to the 35ft screen and it was mandatory to use glasses to focus in the picture on every changeover.

Prob any 8xpower units will work.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 03:27 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Monte! I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't sure if it was a 'silly' question. [Smile]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 11:24 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a cheap Tasco monocular spotting scope to focus both our drive-ins and on Hateful Eight. Works great. At the Hateful Eight location I'm projecting we've got the Hyperion anamorphic; no softness issues.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original installation of Simplex XLs at the Temple Theatre had the magnifying telescope mounted above the lense on both projectors. The limitation was the fact that they looked at the center of the image and could not be used for the corners or edges of the image.

These were only added to the machines when CinemaScope was installed.

A high quality Nikon monoscope will also work well as they are color corrected. You may have to rest the scope on the booth glass to stabilize the image at large distances.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-04-2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always used Opera Glasses

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-04-2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is that there is a HUGE difference between $50.00 binoculars and $200.00 binoculars in convergence stability, focus uniformity, sharpness, and brightness. Between $200.00 ones and $2000.00 ones there's not so much difference unless you're using them for night surveillance... or really like the ruby colored lenses... or you believe the "BMW illusion" that makes anything more expensive automatically better.
More than 7 or 8 power will give a shaky view unless braced against something solid.
A decent "spotting scope" from a sporting goods store may be more suitable, these all have tripod mounting holes. These are small upright image telescopes - you don't need two eyes to focus.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-04-2016 02:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 08:26 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to need something a bit more powerful than that, Mark. It's a REALLY long throw!

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 12:52 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tasco has come a long ways since the 70's when their Scopes,etc., were a joke but if you want the best precision Optics in Scopes, Binoculars,etc., then you are looking at European Optics, mostly German(Austria)or Swiss.When I was selling Firearms,assessories. The companies rated at the top of the heap were Zeiss, Swarowski, Kahles, H&R (not neccessarly in that order) American companies like Leupold,Shepherd,Nikon,etc.
have excellent optics for the majority of Hunters, Sportsmen, but for that last degree of the ultimate precision optics; than the names I listed are the ones to look for. However their Cost can empty your wallet very fast ... [Eek!]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 02:56 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These would be Nice: [beer]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLYoT1bsvI

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
160X magnification!! I guess I just need to see the grain, not the atomic structure of the grain. [Smile]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2016 12:43 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I ended up going for a compact pair of Tasco binoculars. 8 times magnification. I'm surprised how sharp and clear they are! I think they will definitely help. [Smile]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-06-2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small pair of Nikon 7x I've used for years - good quality and very very handy. Useful on this H88 project here in West Palm Beach, FL...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: