Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Chris Nolan's DUNKIRK in IMAX, 70mm, 35mm and DCP

Author Topic: Chris Nolan's DUNKIRK in IMAX, 70mm, 35mm and DCP
Eric Carter
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Eric Carter   Email Eric Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Nolan's secretive new project is a WWII epic DUNKIRK. To be shot in a combination of 65mm IMAX and 65mm, it will be released in all of the juicy formats on 21 July 2017. Here's the Warner Bros. press release:

DUNKIRK Press Release

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They lost me at "immersion". Seriously, this overused word needs to be banned from cinemas.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder just how many 15/70 locations will be left by the time this one rolls around, with the laser rollout. It might pick up between now and then.
As of a few months ago when I inquired with management, we still had our SR projectors sitting up in the IMAX booth here in Rochester, although obviously they haven't seen any action in over a year. Who knows, maybe we'll get a print at Nolan's request, like we did with Interstellar.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The film will be released theatrically on IMAX, 70mm, 35mm and all other screens.
As a member of the we-get-no-respect, no-respect-at-all "all other" category, I agree. Any movie should be immersive; if it isn't, it's not a good movie.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh good grief - just shot in super 16mm and release it only as such... my head hurts.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-28-2015 02:53 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... not knowing all that much about laser...

Could you convert a film setup to laser and if so, would there be less / no heat at the aperture? Possibly more light thereby?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-28-2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

As in a laser lamphouse for a film projector? Don't think anyone is working on that.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't laser illumination for film need some pretty special color timing? Film isn't normally illuminated by 3 distinct wavelengths.

What I'd really like to see is what this movie looks like projected in digital 4k laser DLP projection vs 70mm film.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-28-2015 03:25 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
oh good grief - just shot in super 16mm and release it only as such... my head hurts.
We still have our 16mm [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-28-2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nolan is going to make a movie about Dunkirk? That's not one of the more triumphant stories from World War II, other than it was deemed a miracle Allied forces were able to evacuate more than 300,000 troops from the clutches of advancing German forces. I suppose the movie could be thrilling if the story is told effectively.

"High impact immersion?" I guess that's sales-speak for best image quality possible.

quote: Chris Haller
I wonder just how many 15/70 locations will be left by the time this one rolls around, with the laser rollout.
There's no telling for sure. I think at least some 15/70mm projectors remain in place alongside 2K digital systems. IIRC, Cinemark has at least a couple or so 15/70mm systems in their IMAX houses that can be used. Maybe Boston Light & Sound Inc can reinstall some of those 15/70mm systems. [Razz]

I still can't believe the Bob Bullock IMAX theater in Austin took out its 15/70mm system, replacing it with an ordinary dual 2K system instead. That's the more troubling trend. You have real IMAX theaters taking out real IMAX film projection equipment and replacing it with ordinary "Lie-MAX" 2K stuff. They're not even waiting for the laser systems to arrive.

Meanwhile IMAX' laser roll-out is going very slowly. I'm guessing cost is the main reason for the snail's pace of installations. News articles about a pending IMAX laser upgrade at a 15/70mm theater in Chattanooga put the install cost at $1.2 million. IMAX may have over 70 orders for these new laser-based systems, but at the current pace it will take several years to fill those orders. Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime installs are going at a faster pace. Are any other theater chains in the US beside AMC going to put in any Dolby Cinema screens?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I'm guessing cost is the main reason for the snail's pace of installations.
I'm guessing the real reason is that they have absolutely no incentive to upgrade their 2k liemax sites when the general public happily fills them up weekend after weekend.

quote: Mike Blakesley
As a member of the we-get-no-respect, no-respect-at-all "all other" category, I agree. Any movie should be immersive; if it isn't, it's not a good movie.
I respect the efforts you have put into your cinema Mike, but when I'm watching a [dlp] movie and solid images appear to swim around with that digital shimmer or I see jagged stair-steps on diagonal lines, it pulls me out of the experience.

Granted, I have certainly seen plenty of bad 35mm showings that pulled me out of the experience, but the transition to digital occurred before the technology was where it should have been.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2015 09:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
when I'm watching a [dlp] movie and solid images appear to swim around with that digital shimmer or I see jagged stair-steps on diagonal lines, it pulls me out of the experience.
You mean it... pulls you out of your high impact immersion?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: