Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Design & Manufacturing (What's become of...)

Author Topic: Design & Manufacturing (What's become of...)
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-29-2015 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is old news and sadly by its nature off topic but I didn't see it posted here. Just in case anyone wondered whatever happened to the manufacturer of the Strong & Potts branded platters, Design and Manufacturing of Fisher, Illinois.

Champaign - Urbana News Gazette 10/2/2013
by Don Dodson

quote:
Champaign-based HL Precision Machining has acquired Design & Manufacturing Inc. in Fisher.

Going forward, the company will be known as HL Precision Manufacturing and will operate manufacturing facilities in both communities, said company President Steve Hillard.

HL has hired 17 employees at the 36,000-square-foot facility at 302 W. Division St., Fisher.

The company already employs 48 at its facility at 2110 Round Barn Road, C, giving it a total of 65 employees.

HL President Steve Hillard said the acquisition will allow HL "to continue to serve an expanded customer base with an even broader set of precision manufacturing solutions."

Design & Manufacturing has high-end precision grinding capabilities, electrical discharge machining and a painting operation that HL doesn't have, Hillard said.

The purchase from Design & Manufacturing owners Brian and Carole Hendricks was consummated Monday.

"Brian Hendricks and I began this discussion about a year ago, and it became more serious discussion this past spring, which eventually led to the acquisition," Hillard said.

Design & Manufacturing was incorporated in 1976 with a staff of six. It initially had success in the automated-film handling business.

But when the movie-theater industry underwent a downturn in 1999, the company became a diversified vendor. It offered manufacturing services ranging from design to machining, fabrication, finishing and power coating.

In 2007, the company — then owned by Ballantyne of Omaha — was sold to Hendricks, its general manager.

HL provides close-tolerance precision parts, components and assemblies for a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense/military, energy, agri-business, life sciences, food and beverage, plastics, medical diagnostics and analytical instruments.

"We've had pretty strong growth in late 2012 and early 2013," Hillard said. "We've continued to grow many of the same segments ... with particularly strong growth in automated retail — the automated kiosks in shopping malls and outside various retail chains."

Hillard said HL makes parts for many of those machines.

"We haven't seen the military segment slow down quite yet, but I'm concerned that it may get softer the next 12 months," he added.

Source:
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/2013-10-02/champaign-company-buys-fisher-firm-changes-name.html

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-30-2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for them to find a way to survive the transition to D-cinema. Lots of other companies did not.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Echoing Scott's thoughts. I'm glad they survived.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 03:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Design and Manufacturing build the MUTS for STRONG?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 08:14 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sure did!

Thanks for this article, neat find.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 09:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Design built Potts platters, later built Strong platters. Very high quality place. Visited there with Bob Potts when he made his endless loop system. A genius.

MUTS and Eprad stuff was all made in Toledo themselves until lster.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there several times to pick up platter systems. They were always nice people. I'm glad they are moving along...

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-12-2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they exist before platters or were they set up to build them? I wonder why Bob Potts wasn't building them himself but maybe he lacked capital.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-12-2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob went through several situations as a designer and having things manufactured. One point he had a falling out with a relative that was building for him hence landing up with Design Manufacturing.I bought my first platter from him in 1972 for a Tampa theater which he delivered in a van that he designed to deliver three at a time....after his drop off he and his family drove to Disney World.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-12-2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have moved 6 in my minivan. I did take them completely apart, using the box channels as a van floor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: