Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DeVRY 35 mm projector

Author Topic: DeVRY 35 mm projector
David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2015 07:29 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any help with this antique?

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2015 10:43 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what do you need? Information? Parts? What model?

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 10:33 AM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I have brought it back to life, and need the instructions for threading the film and any info. about handling and film repair. DeVRY Portable Motion Picture Projector Type:D
No. 6826. Thank you in advance.........david

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 12:07 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in the warehouse under manuals and you will find a pdf of the DeVry XD model, (the civvy version of the Navy Model D) there is both the operation and parts manual for it. Have fun! Parts will be scarce since the demise of 35mm on the open market though.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it Look like this or similar. This is an XD.....wasn't aware that they made just a straight D Model. I have 2 XD's that work great...flawless projection ! [thumbsup]

-

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 01:13 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John and Steve.....thank you for your help. I may have misread the Type. It is a C. The suitcase projector. I still need help on a manual,etc. thank you..............david

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 04:29 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My DeVRY does not look anything like what Steve posted......help please. It is a "C" type,the suitcase portable, again ..help..........david

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 07:30 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my recollection is correct, there was a commercial? model, it was a silent 35mm suitcase projector made in the early 1920s it has side by side 1000ft reel capacity and runs at 16-18 frames per second,(silent speed) There was a DeVry model C (aka QRS/DeVry) machine that held the reels on an arm on top of the mechanism and it was 16mm silent film only and was housed in a carry case. It had incandescent lamp and variable speed motor. Is your projector 16mm or 35mm? Also, the D is the same as the XD except the XD was for civilian use with incandescent lamp and the D was the navy model with either incandescent or carbon arc lamp and a pedestal with tilt adjustment.

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 08:22 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John mine is the silent 35mm portable projector. It holds 2 large reels side by side, and I cannot figure how it can tread
in that position. It came with an old time vaudeville color movie.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 12:19 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ordinarily, DeVry had the operation and maintnance instructions prined on the inside of the suitcase door. If it is indeed the silent 35 portable the threading is tricky as the film will take some strange twists feeding into the upper sprocket. If there is a way to turn the motor by hand or at least run it to see the rotation direction of the sprockets, then trace out the direction the film would run. You might try Ebay and see if you can find either a manual or pictures of a similar model so you can look at the diagrams. I don't have one in my collection any more otherwise I would take a picture of the instructions for you. There are several DeVries listed right now including the 'Commercial' model which I would believe is the one you may have. Good luck!

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 01:20 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John That is the one, made in the 20's. I have tried to print the instructions off of Ebay,but the focus does not let me read them. If anyone out there has one or has the manual, I would love to just find out how to thread the film ! Thank you very much for your help..............david

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it looks like this Suitcase Model than it is the C90 made up til about 1928. Good Luck finding Parts for it;they were actually pretty rare...very low production [Confused]

-
Devry Model C90 Portable

-

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 05:14 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John that's it. To bad the photo is not more clear, or I would print it. ............david

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 05:31 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will look through my warehouse next week I may still have one! If I do I will see what condition it is in and try and photograph the instructions. I will let you know. Most of the early DeVry silent machines used the same mechanism thus the threading would be very similar. Hopefully it will be warmer than the current +5-10 degrees next weekend!

David Patton
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2015 08:06 PM      Profile for David Patton   Email David Patton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: