Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Metric Splicer & Film Company

Author Topic: Metric Splicer & Film Company
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phone number out here in SoCal for Metric Splicer has been disconnected. I'm assuming they are out of business but does anyone have a contact regarding NOS parts for a Metric 3001 Ultrasonic splicer? Someone must have ended up the the remaining inventory of parts. Also, does anyone have a copy of the manual they could email me?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2015 09:58 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at https://web.archive.org/web/20020701000000*/http://www.metricsplicer.com/ , their web site appeared in 1997 and had product information until 2001. Then it was going to be updated "in the coming weeks." The page does have an email address ( trey.morrow@metricsplicer.com ). Good luck!

Harold

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The website is still online Click Here. It was very badly designed and you need to click on the text area near the top and scroll to see the content.

About 10 years ago I sent a 3001 back to them for repair, but the cost estimate was more than I was willing to spend for an second splicer. I told them to keep it. I spoke to Trey on the phone at the time, I gather that they were down to a one person operation. About 4 years ago, I got an email from him asking again if I wanted it back. Again I told him to keep it. I should have asked for it back to keep for parts.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-24-2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The domain registration was last updated on October 29, 2015, so someone is still taking an interest in it.

Here is part of the registration information that may be interesting.

Registrant Name: Metric Splicer & Film, Inc.
Registrant Organization: Metric Splicer & Film, Inc.
Registrant Street: 3930 Miraloma Ave. #C
Registrant City: Anaheim
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 92806
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7146302999
Registrant Email: splcrman@CRL.COM
Admin Name: Morrow III Trey, John

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2015 11:47 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys. I've sent an email. We'll see what happens.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2015 03:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

A Facebook friend of a friend of my new owns Metric. As to them still being around or not I can't answer but I can get you in touch with the owner....

Mark

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a 3001 with register pin plates for 35-mm. and 16-mm. film. The 35 pins were so inaccurately made that I had to give the plates to a master mechanic. He told me he could only grind them so far as to be just usable and that precision looks different. Must be Jap crap, he said. I’m feeling sorry about publishing this information but I’m very disappointed. I mean, for the $4.5k I paid they fuckered me.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 08:51 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon,

My Metric 3001 has no problem with the 35mm plate's pin registration.

Are you sure you were not sent the 35mm Microfilm Registration Plates, which were entirely different plate from their 35mm Motion Picture film plates? Each had a different part number?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wold have simply sent that bad splicer back!

I did find out just this morning that all the parts for these still do exist although everything is in storage at the moment. The original owner and his wife of Metric perished in a plane crash some years back and the company was inherited by their son whom happens to be friends of a friend of mine. Am waiting to hear back on parts availability as the man is out of town at the moment.

Mark

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I sent an email to the contact info you provided but haven't heard back as of this afternoon.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, I know the four standardised perforation types with 35-mm. film and am quite certain to have ordered the correct plates. Designation was 35 P and I use them for prints. But also the 16 ones are only so-so. For the rest I like the splicer, it makes neat seams. One has only to trim the little excess on both ends of a seam.

Would love to see the enterprise come back to (more) life.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

I believe he is out of the country at the moment....

Mark

Trey Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2016 09:27 PM      Profile for Trey Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Trey Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I've posted an update on Metric Splicer in the following topic:
http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011932

Hopefully that will answer some of your questions.

Simon Wyss, please contact Kirby Morrow (company president) at kirby.morrow @ metricsplicer.com. I've apprised him of your register plates. He should be able to help you.

As I indicated in the other thread, please feel free to contact Kirby at the email address above. If you don't get a prompt response, please contact via PM on here. I'll respond as promptly as possible, but I also run a consulting firm and work anywhere from 60-80 hours a week.

Sincerely,
Trey Morrow
Metric Splicer & Film, Inc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-14-2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kirby is actually a friend of mine on Facebook. I have relayed several other film related Facebook friends to contact him through my page.

Mark

Trey Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Trey Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Trey Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help, Mark! However, moving forward... kirby's direct email address is kirby.morrow @ metricsplicer.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: