Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 5 Questions

Author Topic: Victoria 5 Questions
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2015 01:18 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I have a couple of questions about the Victoria 5 I am renovating, can anyone advise?

1. What voltage is the douser solenoid, the information seems to have rubbed off the unit I have.
2. The maintenance manual says to fill the dashpot to the 'right level'. I cant find any information saying what the 'right level' is, can anyone let me know?
3. Some posts on the forum advise the use of Castor Oil in the Dashpot, is that ok or is there something better?

Many thanks for the help

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-06-2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several different solinoid coils used in the Vic5
Some were AC some were DC 120 or 220v
The dashpot gets filled to the nachined ring in it

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-15-2016 05:51 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 405 days since the last post.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2016 05:51 PM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this same question...my pot has no machined ring in it...so there must have been some other markings at some point.

Allan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Allan Lyman   Email Allan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello gary

I used to fill it 3/4 full.when you press down the dashpot,and it goes back it must go slow all the way.If there is to little inside,then at the end of the travel back,it will go fast.if there is too much it will flow out.
you can use the oil children use to get when they where sick.In Denmark we actually called it "american oil".you buy it at the farmacy.Its a bit thicker than the original oil.
alan

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-17-2016 08:36 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can just imagine the big oil press with americans being shoveled in.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-17-2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allan Lyman
...you can use the oil children use to get when they where sick.
Castor oil?

-

quote: Wikipedia
Vegetable oils like castor oil are typically unattractive alternatives to petroleum-derived lubricants because of their poor oxidative stability. Castor oil has better low-temperature viscosity properties and high-temperature lubrication than most vegetable oils, making it useful as a lubricant in jet, diesel, and racing engines. The viscosity of castor oil at 10 °C is 2,420 centipoise. However, castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and therefore its usefulness is limited to engines that are regularly rebuilt, such as racing engines. The lubricants company Castrol took its name from castor oil.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2016 02:42 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found silicone damper oil on ebay. It is for RC shock absorbers but it will work. I found the spec for the original oil and found the equivalent viscosity. This oil is a tad thicker than spec, but its well within limits. I did not like the idea of organic oil being used.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: