Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Final Destination 5 3D Technical Issues

Author Topic: Final Destination 5 3D Technical Issues
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2015 12:02 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone on the Forum who actually projected the Technicolor 3D 35mm print of Final Destination 5?
The presentation I saw was technically hard to watch with many double image issues. I'm trying to determine if that was a problem with that venue or a print-wide issue.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your description it sounds somewhat like the same phenomenon as with a digital system when the eyes get reversed. Maybe a lens in upside down or something?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-05-2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you inspect the print and don't see double in the right or left eye images, that's a lens polarizer or silver screen degradation problem. Or... your glasses are incorrect for the Technicolor system: I believe it's using linear polarization, digital 3D systems use circular polarization.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-05-2015 10:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicol;or 3d is circular polarizers same as reeld
in fact they often supplied reeld glasses

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2015 12:03 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran that print in 35mm Tech-3D, and don't recall any issues.
Was this a show you personally ran or one you went to see?
If you went and saw it at a theater, perhaps they threaded up the film
wrong, or the leader was spliced on wrong, so that the "left/right" images
were out-of-polarization phase with the lens.

It would be almost impossible to install the Technicolor lens upside down,
but those lenses had very fine/critical filter adjustments that could be
thrown off by a hard bump, or, worse yet, by dropping the lens.I had this
happen at one theater and it took two trained techs almost two hours to
get the lens back into alignment.

The Tech 3D systems I worked with also seemed to suffer more bad effects
such as ghosting or fringing as the result of cheap or dirty porthole glass
than other 3D systems. In two theaters, removing the glass entirely made a
big improvement in the picture quality. (At the price of introducing some
projector noise into the auditorium. But these were huge, old theaters,so
it wasn't too big of a problem as the noise got 'absorbed' by the space.)

And, as others have pointed out- - Tech 3D used circular polarization,
and using the wrong type of glasses made for viewing a poor image.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: