Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Eastman Edge Codes

Author Topic: Kodak Eastman Edge Codes
Jane Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2015 04:19 AM      Profile for Jane Matthews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone, this is quite a tricky one so sorry if it's not appropriate.

I'm a film archivist at the British Film Institute and I'm currently repairing a film called Ascendancy (1983). The print is made up from three different kinds of stock which have been stuck together, two kinds of Eastman stock and a AGFA stock. I've managed to date the stock for the AGFA and one of the Eastman stocks but I can't identify the second Eastman stock. The edge code is x triangle and the word safety is written SAFE.TY which would suggest to me that the stock is from France. However, I can't find any record of the code x triangle anywhere. The closest I can find is x triangle x which is 1983 stock (which would make sense as the film is from this time).

Has anyone come across the code x triangle before? Is it possible that it's a misprint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks very much.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XΔX is US for 1983, so perhaps ΔX is a shorthand code for it. Would make sense because they picked up on a three-glyph code in '82 in the US.

Jane Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2015 04:30 AM      Profile for Jane Matthews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for your suggestion

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: