Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Make two platter system projectors into changeover System

Author Topic: Make two platter system projectors into changeover System
Dennis Fung
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2015 10:21 AM      Profile for Dennis Fung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[I know may be this question may be stupid, but I would like to know any possible solution to save rare 35mm prints]

Currently, I am helping a new art house cinema finding some 35mm projectors for repertory film programmes. Luckily, I found some second hand platter system projectors for sales at my country. (Strong or Christie)

However, as those projectors in platter system, I can't load some archival prints (Uncut). As limited space for the projection room, almost impossible and stupid to place two platters and two projectors as this usage.

It is possible to make these projectors into changeover system?

I really want to save those projectors and give another live.
Thanks for any advice if you have any suggestion.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-10-2015 10:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible, though you may need some parts that weren't fitted to the projector mechanisms as delivered for multiplex/platter use. These are essentially:

1 - Arms and spindles for the feed and take-up reels
2 - Drive/transmission mechanism (belt, chain or separate motor) for the take-up.
3 - Changeover shutters on each machine, interlocked with each other such that when you press the "over" button the shutter comes down on the outgoing machine and comes up on the incoming one simultaneously
4 - Identical audio heads on both machines, and an audio processor that supports a two-projector changeover system, which again is connected to the changeover buttons on each projector.
5 - Two sets of identical lenses and aperture plates for all the aspect ratios you wish to support. If you're looking to be able to play the full range of archival prints, this at the very least means full-gate silent, 1.37, 1.85 and 'scope, and ideally should include 1.19, 1.66 and 1.78 as well.

The following are also desirable to play archival prints properly:

1 - Three-blade shutters and a variable speed motor to enable projection at any frame rate from 16 to 25
2 - Interchangeable white light and red light optical audio readers, so that you can play any sort of optical track that could be thrown at you, including ones that really need one sort or the other (e.g. unilateral variable area on silver dye needs white light, cyan needs red).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-10-2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice list Leo.

The changeover shutters are more commonly known as dousers or dowsers.

As to cyan and silver soundtracks, red is correct for cyan, white is technically correct but it's actually the IR portion of an exciter lamp output that is modulated. If using LEDs to read the soundtrack a specific IR LED would be used.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can acquire two 3-deck platters or a 5 deck platter system you absolutely could do changeovers. You would have to be constantly loading then unloading the next reel or rig up a rewind device at the bench that spools the film from the shipping reel right on to the platter ring at a decent speed to be able to keep up. Or as an option get enough platter rings for say an 8 reel feature and pre-spool all the reels ahead of time. Then it would be a breeze. Christie made what was called a Miniwind platter system, 3-decks and very small 40" platter decks that could hold 8 reels of acetate film. I actually have two of those here. Kept em because they are pretty rare.

Leo... Only up to 25 fps? What will you do when you are handed a 30fps TV print?

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-10-2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Leo said, although I personally prefer separate changeover controls for picture (foot pedal) and sound (push button). This is a preference thing, though.

The other issue is the size of the reel shafts that you choose. Aside from Kinoton and the 35/70 machines, these are generally not easy to interchange. In the US, the choice is 5/16" or 1/2". Here, at least, the 1/2" shafts are unquestionably better (less likely to become bent or otherwise damaged), but house reels with 1/2" shafts are often hard to find, and you will need more of them than if you go with 5/16" shafts, since you will not be able to use shipping reels or split reels to feed or take up film in a pinch (yes, I know, this is bad form...but sometimes necessary). All 70mm shafts are 1/2"; the 5/16" option exists for 35mm only. I would personally only go with 1/2" shafts if you will regularly be running 6000' reels, which is unlikely if you are regularly showing archival prints.

Also, you will (of course) need a rewind bench, house reels, lens collars, reel cabinet(s), house reels, split reels, spare leaders and tails, spare takeup belts, etc.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-10-2015 05:16 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a cue marker.

Dennis Fung
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2015 05:51 PM      Profile for Dennis Fung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, thanks all of your information. I really learn a lot more about 35mm projectors at this “dying age”.

As I don’t know which model the cinema will acquire. Maybe Simplex or Century depends on their supply? I may need to double check with the owner and following by Leo’s checklist.

I think quite challenging looking for good lens for projectors, I wish I could found extra lens at 1.37 and 1.66, instead of Flat and Scope.

About turret, I know some projectors comes with 2 lens turret designed for Flat and Scope. If I can’t find 3 lens kits, is it still possible change into special lens? Or I should avoid these auto turrets and aperture models?

Mark, I could find two 3-deck platters easily, but the projection can’t fit two platters and dual projectors. I also need to fit Digital Projector and rewind table, etc. Obviously, install 2 platters not a better choice for me. Especially I still looking for another 16mm film projector if possible.

Scott, just interesting about the Kinoton, why this German brand easier for both 5/16" and 1/2" shafts? Btw, I don’t think I will be running 6000’ for 35mm, so I will keep 5/16" as usual. I don’t mind more changeovers.

Sam, I won’t use cue maker as really damaging archival prints. I will use stickers / tapes instead, at least removable. Normally I got some prints with proper cues.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-10-2015 08:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
And a cue marker
  • Beware! Many archives forbid permanent cues.
  • Several will want to know the make/model of your projectors, too. So choose wisely.
  • Several will want to know if there is a platter in your building.
As for building up - that amount of handling for film prints today makes me a nervous. Don't be surprised if some lenders freak out if they learn that there is a platter in your booth. Unless you are going to regularly show each movie a few times, I don't see much point in having the platters at all.
Kinoton projectors can be easily exchanged. They are held in place by three bolts.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-11-2015 11:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting - I've never had an archive want to know the make and model of projector (although I've seen the unbelievably extensive GEH new venue questionnaire, which even asks if the prints will be kept under guard, with a check box for "armed," while in your care). But that having been said, I've only once been responsible for programming archival prints at one new venue which hadn't dealt with them before (University of Leeds), and then only the BFI, so maybe this is a standard practice.

All the archives whose prints I show now will almost always scribe their own cues onto prints if there aren't any on the intermediate element they were printed from. Thanks to the growth of DI and filmouts, I've noticed a steady uptick in archive prints with scribed cues as distinct from printed ones.

Strange - I'd have expected the software driving the Arrilaser (or whatever) to give you the option of burning the cues digitally, but even if it exists, the major archives (and FotoKem, for that matter) seem to prefer adding Clint Phare cues after processing, rather than integrating them digitally.

The only serial offender I've come across is the Nederlands Filmmuseum (or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays), whose digital filmout prints almost never have any cues on them, and I have to add (and then remove, adding to pack-off time) click strips.

That having been said, I had to do this with a UCLA print during Cinecon (Valley of the Giants), but UCLA and the Academy are usually very good at providing projectionist-friendly prints: they arrive tails out on Goldberg reels, the leaders are in perfect condition, aspect ratio and audio format (if any) clearly marked and there is generous spacing at both ends. I wish they wouldn't add polyester spacing to the ends of an acetate reel, though, because it puts me at risk of forgetting to reduce the gate tension if I'm showing an acetate reel immediately after a polyester one. This can be very bad news on a Norelco - excessive gate tension risks causing perf damage, especially on older and slightly shrunk acetate. Feeling the thicker spacing when starting to thread the reel reminds me to check.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: