Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Correct aspect ratio and Dolby format for 35mm "Eraserhead"?

Author Topic: Correct aspect ratio and Dolby format for 35mm "Eraserhead"?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2015 08:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB says 1.37, but I can't find anything else online that agrees with them: everything else says 1.85, including the Criterion BD. I'm therefore tending towards 1.85 for Thursday's show, on the basis that Criterion would surely have got the definitive answer from Lynch during the mastering of their version.

The print I have is from Janus, on 2302 stock and made by FotoKem in 2012. The track is SVA, but the FotoKem labels just say "stereo" - they don't state whether A-type or SR. As the original release appears to have been mono, I'm guessing that this is a 2012 remix and therefore SR (though why didn't they do a digital track?). In the absence of any definitive answer, I guess it's a case of a listening test and going with what sounds better.

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on either of these? Many thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-06-2015 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could try asking him though there's no guaranty he'll see it in time or at all.

https://twitter.com/david_lynch

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-06-2015 08:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played the movie in the early 80's in 1.85:1, where it was full frame and it did have the mono track.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2015 12:40 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Leo, a soundtrack marked "Stereo" on a print without further info, is as far I can remember always equal to DOLBY A.
Early 1990:s Universal titles had "DTS STEREO" on some occasions, which also behaved like Dolby A.
I also have seen Ultra Stereo labeled as "STEREO" which is compatible with Dolby A.

All SR prints I have come across have been labeled: DOLBY SR, STEREO SR or just SR/SRD/DTS etc.

Do a test run on the print at hand. You should be able to confirm what sounds correct.

Regards,

Jerry

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2015 02:13 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rule has always been to play in Dolby A unless it SPECIFICALLY says it's Dolby SR- playing SR when it's not supposed to be sounds awful!

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran an Eraserhead print a couple of years ago that was from the 1990s and marked SR. It surprised me but sounded good played that way.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of whether or not the film was printed 1.37, the film would have been shown 1.85 here in the US.of.A.

I know this is meaningless, but the Criterion Bluray is 1.85 and frames perfectly.

As too sound, what Jesse said above.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a vague memory of playing a re-release in the late '90s that was specifically marked SR.

We know that the SVA track isn't original (that release was mono), and so if it the audio was remastered in the late '90s or later, I can't think of any reason why it would be A-Type. France continued to release new movies with A-Type audio into the late '90s: I remember this because I was working in an arthouse in England at the time, which showed a lot of French movies. If memory serves me correctly, the last A-type new release I showed was Secret défense. But the rest of the world had moved to SR (or very occasionally one of the knockoff SVA systems, e.g. DTS Stereo) by the middle of that decade. So if a full-scale remastering of the Eraserhead audio took place in the late '90s, resulting in an SVA final mix, I'd have expected it to be SR.

Maybe FotoKem labelled the 2012 print I'm showing tomorrow as simply "stereo", because they struck it from a 1990s final mix track dupe neg that wasn't properly labelled itself, and so they simply didn't know either?

Whatever the answer, I'm going to have to fit a listening test into tomorrow afternoon's show prep. Thanks again everyone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-08-2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was an anticlimax.

Almost the entire movie has a pink noise/rumble/general audio crap background playing. It's actually meant to sound like the B-chain is completely screwed up, and so whether it's supposed to be played in A-type or SR is basically irrelevant. I sat through three reels of it, and in all of them there was only one short dialog scene that was completely free of this background noise, just before the end of R1. It doesn't last long enough to play some in A, go back to the booth, change the CP200 to SR and come back out into the house again. A-type sounds as OK as this film is ever going to, to my ears, and so A-type it's going to be.

1.85 definitely looks right.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2015 02:37 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:lol: I hadn't even considered anybody being unfamiliar with the movie itself- yes, it is WEIRD! They even put out a soundtrack album for it, basically the movie edited to the length of a record.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-14-2015 10:55 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all that out-of-phase low frequency rumble, I imagine that you'd have needed to replace the cartridge, stylus and bass speaker cones when you flipped the record over.

I have a dim memory of the movie from showing it in the late '90s and that it was weird and experimental, but yeah, I did look somewhat silly worrying about the details of the audio reproduction in that show. It would have been a bit like fussing over getting the color temperature of the light in a gallery exactly right for an exhibition of Hitler's paintings: that is not going to be why the audience is there.

I never did really go for David Lynch, though I must make the effort to see Inland Empire sometime, given it's named after the area in which I live, and apparently some of it was shot on the street where I work. But the fact that it's three hours long and reportedly has no coherent plot is somewhat of a disincentive...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-14-2015 01:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The end credits for Inland Empire has a really great dance/musical troupe performance. Just fast forward. [evil]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2015 07:03 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
It would have been a bit like fussing over getting the color temperature of the light in a gallery exactly right for an exhibition of Hitler's paintings...
That's a great analogy Leo. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: