Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » christie DCD-224 series dimmer instalation manual

Author Topic: christie DCD-224 series dimmer instalation manual
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2015 09:17 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.

i´m having problems on one christie dcd dimmer, i can´t make it to dim and right now we have to turn on and off the breaker.
i´m not sure if is broken or just loose the programing but i cant find the installation manual and is not on the manuals site.
can you guys can send me or tell me were do i can find it?

thanks a lot for your help

miguel moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a shorted triac. This is not uncommon especially when people change light bulbs with the power turned on. If a socket breaks that's when the triac shorts out. Not an expensive part and if it's easily accessible you can swap one over from another unit to make the test.

Mark

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2015 08:20 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't change bulbs on a dimmer circuit with the lights on? I hadn't heard that.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2015 10:03 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
You shouldn't change bulbs on a dimmer circuit with the lights on?
I think what Mark meant, if you re-read his reply, is that if the bulb socket
should break and short out, you'll fry the triac. So, turning the power off
when changing the bulb is the old "ounce of prevention" theory.

I've seen theater bulbs get broken off in sockets when using one of those long
bulb-changing poles. (OK, I'll admit I've probably broken one or two myself)
so turning the power off is an easy way prevent having to change out a triac.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-21-2015 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! Have a bypass switch installed so the dimmer is OUT of the circuit!!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-22-2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, go into bypass when power is applied until you know all is well.

I've installed nearly 1000 Kelmar dimmers, also with triac. I ALWAYS jump the input to output with a heavy #12 wire until late on opening day. This saves the triac when unexpected changes are made (curtain guy wiggles the light fixture, electrician adds expansion rings, etc.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar dimmers ship with jumper wires in place (and tagged) for exactly this purpose and I always lay the law down with the electricians about not removing them. Like Louis, I don't pull those off until maybe 2 days prior to opening.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I ALWAYS jump the input to output with a heavy #12 wire until late on opening day. This saves the triac when unexpected changes are made (curtain guy wiggles the light fixture, electrician adds expansion rings, etc.)
WoW- Excellent idea. So simple I'm surprised I didn't think of it. ! LoL
I rarely get involved with installations anymore, but if I ever do, I'll
remember this 'trick'.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also... Kelmar dimmers no longer have to be fed from the same phase like they had to be in the past to prevent the possibility of flicker. Each channel now has it's own independent power transformer.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-22-2015 03:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The jumper is there on the Kelmar because I, personally, required them to be shipped that way. Solved the problem, too. Now all of them get it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From day one the Ash TEC8112 dimmers were shipped with a jumper in place

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: