Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Power to cat 702

Author Topic: Power to cat 702
Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2015 02:29 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a changeover setup with a Dolby Digital penthouse cat 702 on one projector, and a 701 on the other. Everything working fine.

The thing is, we run mostly older archive films and only occasionally have a need for the SR-D setup at all. But the 702 being powered from the CP500 is on whenever the CP500 is on. And this bugs me no end, seeing most of the useful life of the LED simply being wasted. The 701 having a power switch can stay off whenever it's not in use, which is great.

Is there anything that can be done about this? The ideal thing would be if the CP500 could be configured to power the 702 ONLY when format 10 has been asserted, but I see no such possibility.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-07-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to install a switch at the 702 that interrupts the LED current.

There is no way to configure the 500 at this late date to do this for you.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just open 702 and check wires with 15V power which going from ccd bord, to DC/DC led controller.....and put you're self switch there [Big Grin]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-15-2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would advise not going near the 25 pin cable connector due to static discharge. I would put the switch on the output of the DC to DC board.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2015 12:39 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently done the same thing, I echo Sam's advice. Break the circuit in the wires to the LED itself. It's pretty easy once you get the back off.

I wired it off a spare pair of contacts on the motor start relay on a pair of DP70s just a couple of weeks ago.

We wired the BACP reverse scan kits the same way at installation, to maximise LED life.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: