Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Movies still being released on film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Author Topic: Movies still being released on film
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 12:41 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater near me still runs 35mm in two of their five auditoriums. They say they are really having a hard time getting movies and it seems that some movies are now not even being released on film now. I know the end is probably near soon. So for now, I would like to start a thread to list which new movies are actually being released on 35mm film prints. The feature info and attachments threads don't always have this information.

The theater nearby me is currently showing on film:

Cinderella
San Andreas
Tomorrowland

What other movies currently in release out there are available on 35mm film and what upcoming movies will be available on 35mm film? Please list them here. Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 04:34 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, the following 2015 releases have been reported here and on other forums as being available on 35mm:

• Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Blackhat
  • Cinderella
  • Fifty Shades of Grey
  • Focus
  • Furious Seven
  • Hot Pursuit
  • Inside Out
  • Insurgent
  • Jupiter Ascending
  • Jurassic World
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Minions
  • Pitch Perfect 2
  • Pixels
  • San Andreas
  • Ted 2
  • Terminator Genisys
  • The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
  • Tomorrowland

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of at least two theaters running "Straight Outta Compton" in 35mm.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be interesting to know how many 35mm prints are being made of these titles. Anybody have a source for that info?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently it's about 10 per title (US).

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine stated that his theater is receiving copies of Trainwreck, Mr. Holmes, and Vacation in 35mm in the next few weeks and that Paramount didn't make any known copies of M:I Rogue Nation in that format.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Russell
A friend of mine stated that his theater is receiving copies of Trainwreck, Mr. Holmes, and Vacation in 35mm in the next few weeks and that Paramount didn't make any known copies of M:I Rogue Nation in that format.
I been running 35mm print of M:I Rogue Nation since it opened nationwide

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 10:21 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know, maybe he just didn't get it in his area (Branson, Missouri). Any word on if Ant-Man got a 35mm? It'd be strange if it didn't, since all of Disney's other movies this summer got one.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2015 05:27 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a 35mm print of IRRATIONAL MAN making the rounds.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-23-2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's down to a dozen or fewer prints, who is getting them? Studios only care about money so who is out there that makes enough money that Hollywood takes notice but has not converted OR perhaps has but insists on getting a film print if any are made (and will be thoroughly pissed if told there are none but was lied to).

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "McFarland USA" and "Run All Night" are a couple others that got prints.

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 06:06 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone confirm Trainwreck, Mr Holmes, Vacation, McFarland USA and Run All Night?

No offense to Matt and Shawn, but for my list I prefer stronger testimony than "A friend of mine stated", and "I think". [Smile]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had 35mm back-up print of McFarland when I did a big press screening
last year prior to its' release. So I can confirm there's at least one print! [Big Grin]

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2015 04:20 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The friend I contacted about that hasn't responded since then, but I know for sure that AFI Silver has a 35mm projector and they're currently showing Mr. Holmes, so it's quite possible they got at least a back-up print to show in 35mm. As for Trainwreck, it was shot in 35mm so there has to be some prints out there somewhere. Vacation I have no idea about, there could very well be no 35mm prints, but knowing it's Warner behind it, they quite possibly could have made some prints. I'll update if I get anymore info on those three.

Update: I know none of these were stated above, but I did get word from a member of Kodak's management team that there are prints of Entourage and Ant-Man getting around. As for Trainwreck and Vacation, they had no idea yet, but knowing they have partnerships with Universal and WB to make prints, it's very likely those two have/are getting prints.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-28-2015 06:47 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Russell
...it was shot in 35mm so there has to be some prints out there somewhere.
Not necessarily. Shooting on film, scanning the camera negative rolls and then doing the rest of the post and the distribution all digitally is not uncommon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: