Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Abandoned theater explorers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Abandoned theater explorers
Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 06:19 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a video on YouTube about some guys exploring an abandoned cinema-if you recognize it-maybe you worked there?The place still has the power on.The guys delight in lighting the neon lights and signs.Next they go to the projection rooms and try to start the projectors.No go-so they go to another breaker room and restore power to the projectors.One guy finds a xenon bulb-his partner warns him of the dangers.They manage to get a projector started-and start the projection lamp-the lamphouse door is ajar-interlock not working,bypassed,and they open the door while the lamp is running!!!Lucky the lamp didn't blow in their faces-hope they didn't get "flash burn" in their eyes or sunburns.They run the motor on the projector-one calls it--"that finger chopper thing"then they find a roll of film and try to play it!No good-the projectors light no longer comes on.They also didn't start the exhaust blowers for the projectors.Its under "proper People" on Youtube-"abandoned theater exploration.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beavis & Butt Head go exploring!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the video?

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 12:21 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link:

Exploring an Abandoned Movie Theater

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 02:35 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The building, where-ever it is located, is near some train tracks. "Well, this is why the theater failed. Bad location."
Likely the theater failed due to a more recent building going up nearby that took it's customers away, and plans must have been in place for shut down as there seemed to be no digital equipment installed (though they may have for some 3D titles but took that equipment out.)
One of the comments had the building closing in 2012.
I wonder who is paying the electric bill...

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 05:06 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that really sad.

Closure in 2012 seems about right, there was a poster up for "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" which is that year.

Their website suggest they are Florida based, so, cinema closed in 2012, in Florida, near a railway line. How hard can it be?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2015 08:10 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be the Regal-->Sunrise Cinemas-->Frank Theatres Las Olas location in Ft. Lauderdale. I've never been inside but I once peaked in the lobby and vaguely remember escalators.

I think the time frame makes sense. Train tracks run right behind the building.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
It might be the Regal-->Sunrise Cinemas-->Frank Theatres Las Olas location in Ft. Lauderdale.
Lyle definitely wins the prize.

Awesome yelp reviews

There is a picture of the escalator on the yelp page above and if you look at the video @ 2:00 into it, you will see the same image.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-16-2015 11:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a strange one ... a movie theater discovered in caves under the streets of Paris.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2015 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It took a few minutes to find, but a photo does exist.

-

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 02:36 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh!!The mystery of this theater has been solved.In reading the Reviews of the site-sounds like most were displeased with the place and weren't going to watch another movie there again.The popcorn covered esculator was pretty gross-and unsafe.I am wondering why a theater would have been built by train tracks??Would be good,though for movies with trains.In the video I noticed the purple wallpaper was peeling off the walls-and you do get a glimpse of what looked like mildew on the floors in the auditoriums.I am guessing the place was nice when it first opened-but then with other owners-the place went down.I wonder in the later years if the lady that sold you the ticket and concessions ran up the nasty stairs and started the movie from the projector that has the loose lamphouse door!I could use that for my UV flourescing mineral specimens!
That cinema-guerilla one-in the catacombs in Paris sounds really wild!The picture of it with folks watching a show--like the impromptu hung curtains and screen.Wonder what sort of projector they used??

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a most excellent use of the last hour and a half [Smile]

Thanks for this awesome find!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, definitely Las Olas. I used to see movies there frequently when I lived in the area. Its closing makes me sad. I knew it was no longer operated by the company who built it (Regal), but I didn't know it was closed. I can't believe the booth equipment is just sitting there abandoned.

How did these guys gain access? Is it legitimate and buy permission of the landlord?

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably useless at this point but lyle is right, its the las olas, Frank theaters ran it for a bit and just abandoned at the end of 2014. I forgot when regal dumped it onto sunrise, but it was a while back as well. Since sunrise took over it really went downhill, the escalator stopped working and just wasn't ever repaired until it closed (I guess since it works as stairs). At one point frank theaters stopped running movies in the bottom auditoriums (not sure why either).

I've seen a few movies here as it is near where my dad lived, the train tracks were the least of the issue and I can't recall ever having an issue with it sounding, there are some bars around the area as well, but it really is more of a younger nightlife crowd, not the movie going crowd. You had to pay to park as well, though the theater did validate it at some point (never had to park there, just walked).

They probably got in through a roof access hatch or exit door though, since it is part of a "mall/strip" I figure the LL just continues to keep electric hooked up. Doubtful another theater will ever go in there, but I think its just too much of a hassle to tear down.

Its by the broward center for the performing arts and Museum of Discovery and Science (which has a real IMAX), the neighborhood is wealthy on one side but 5 minute drive and you're in a poor area of town. Can't imagine anything would really draw people to a theater in the area.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-17-2015 04:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
I can't believe the booth equipment is just sitting there abandoned.

How did these guys gain access? Is it legitimate and buy permission of the landlord?

I've been in an abandoned theatre that were still loaded with equipment years after they closed. I was let in by the landlord. Odds are the operator of those theatres and whoever was last operating this theater had leases that they defaulted on and the equipment is now the landlords' problem (what's it going to sell for?).

I have no idea if the people who made the video had permission to be there or if they were foolish enough to record and post a breaking and entering.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: