Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP500 firmware source

Author Topic: Dolby CP500 firmware source
Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2015 09:08 AM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you people think: Is there any chance that Dolby will ever release the source code of the CP500 firmware? It would probably open a lot (or at least some) of new possibilities for playing around with this device.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-15-2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two chances. Slim and none and Slim left town.

Dolby just moved to a new corp. building and a lot newer film based products and fixtures have been put in the dumpster. That whole era is over for Dolby Labs.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-15-2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the more reason why releasing the source code for no-longer-supported products would be a good PR move on their part. If they're no longer offering support anyway, then the argument that letting third parties frig with them might invoke difficult liabilities no longer applies.

I'm guessing that this leaves the optical sound preamp card for the AP20 as now the only film sound processing equipment left in production?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2015 12:44 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Ultra Stereo still makes the JSD-80 that does film as well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-15-2015 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, the JSD-80 is still current...but remember too...there are stacks and stacks of just about every processor available out there.

How is Datasat doing on the AP20 front? I know that there are diehard fans of them and they are quite flexible. However I'm curious due to the recent ending of not just the DTS/Datasat film stuff but also the people that have been let go.

I know I had no problems supplying an AP20 with the film module not too long ago but that was before the layoffs.

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2015 03:17 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your thoughts on this topic! I just hope that some Dolby employee who in is in charge will read this.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-20-2015 01:40 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabian,

Respectfully, you are dreaming. BACP does service and replacement parts as we can for the 500 and get no support from Dolby Labs. FYI, I worked there and helped in the initial design and can assure you Dolby is done with supporting this processor.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2015 02:58 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only the 500, but 650 as well, specially if you think on source code. To be honest, since i am on pro audio as well, source code for sony processor would be thing, since youcould arrange it to become some 8out active crossover/processor....

but also, to have source code is just one step, it realy depends how you do compile it, how to import it in with included firmware.....

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It also would be great if Dolby would release the complete documentation on how Dolby Digital works. It would create the possibility of someone designing a new Dolby Digital processor in the future. There will be a time at which the last CP650 has died down.

But as Sam already stated, I am dreaming here... [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: