Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Controlling mute and fader on a CP-65

Author Topic: Controlling mute and fader on a CP-65
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be at the cinema again to try this until Tuesday, and I want to have it ready as soon as I get there. How do you mute the CP-65, does the terminal have to be held down while you want the output muted, and allowed to float back up to restore it, or does a momentary relay contact toggle the mute on and off? if the latter, how long a pulse is required to activate it?

Has anybody managed to control the CP-65 fader from Ethernet? I thought somebody must make the electronic equivelent of a pot which can be controlled over a network, but I can't find such a thing.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2015 10:47 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mute is momentary pulse to toggle the setting. It is the same duration as the format buttons. Works the same way as the mute button on the front panel. Also if the sound is muted a format change will automatically cancel the mute.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 10:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-10-2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One issue with the CP65's mute function is that it is a toggle, so there is no convenient way for an automation system to "force" a mute (because closing the "mute" contact will just unmute the processor if the operator has engaged the mute button manually).

These people have some interesting devices including RS232-controllable potentiometers. Using a terminal server or similar device, you could hack together an Ethernet-controllable volume adjustment.

I would be kind of surprised if Crestron and/or Extron did not have something similar.

At that point, though, you might be better off considering an upgrade to a newer processor.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I would only want to do this in a digital show, and mainly when dropping out to an insert in some non-DC format, get the server to control DMA, A/V switcher, Cine-Ipm etc. and then pause itself while the insert is run. We need to do this if the insert is something which is brought in just before the show, and there isn't time to make a DCP of it. Some of the projectionists struggle to change settings on several different devices in a couple of seconds.

The toggle problem should be easy to fix, the 35 mm machines would not be in use at the time, so put in a cue to select a film format, this makes no sound, and will force the mute off. Then pulse the mute toggle and the mute will be active. I have a reason for not just leaving it in film mode, due to some other equipment which is connected to the system.

Those pomtialometer boxes look like what I'm after,but they are quite expensive, and the smallest has eight ports. Maybe I can find a circuit somewhere and build my own. Budget is zero, as usual.

Due to poor health, lack of money, and no passport I haven't been over there for over five years, but I'm hoping to be coming over again in a few months, and want to do the train trip from NYC to Chicago which I was planning, but never managed to do.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-10-2015 03:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did not penny wise make a volume controller for the cp65 that was rs232

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2015 04:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...the DF-1 box (Digital Fader). Worked with most analog systems. We used it at the AFI to allow Crestron to have have control over a CP200 too (as well as the EMK-1s to monitor the CP200).

Note, depending on the automation, one can monitor the mute tally or even the fader tallys to see if the system is muted or not and based on that execute the mute (set up a conditional command).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2015 07:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen--if you take that train trip, let me know how it is. The train to Chicago (the "Lake Shore Limited") is intereting in that half of it starts in NYC and half of it starts in Boston. The two half-trains meet in Albany and are coupled there, and the combined train runs from Albany to Chicago.

It is then possible for passengers to take the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco for a complete coast-to-coast train trip. I am not sure how long that takes. Boston to Chicago is just about twenty hours and NYC to Chicago should be similar..

I am only familiar with the trains that Amtrak runs on the eastern half of the US. The western trains are double-deckers that (I am told) are more spacious and comfortable (not that the eastern trains are bad at all).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2015 08:23 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
It is then possible for passengers to take the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco
Technically, the train doesn't go anywhere near San Francisco.
You get off in either Emeryville or Oakland, CA, and then they stick you
on a bus for a ride over the Bay Bridge and into SF. I've taken several
Amtrak trips. The train is great - - but on two trips there were problems
with Amtrak's bus connections forcing passengers to wait over 2hrs to
get to San Francisco. (You could have caught a public transit bus or the
BART train and gotten there in less than half that time)

The Amtrak station in Emeryville isn't far from Pixar's studios.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 09:48 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Yep...the DF-1 box (Digital Fader). Worked with most analog systems. We used it at the AFI to allow Crestron to have have control over a CP200 too (as well as the EMK-1s to monitor the CP200).

Steve, can this thing work as a stand-alone device, without an automation system?

It's no longer listed as being available, and there are none on Ebay, but if I can find one somewhere it sounds like this could do what I want. I don't suppose that anybody here has a spare one which they would sell?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2015 10:28 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen - when you say 'controlled over Ethernet' - what is that Ethernet coming from? A DCI server/automation command? From what you write above, I do not understand what you are trying to achieve and what your existing equipment is and doesn't support.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2015 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would start by contacting Film-Tech. Last I heard, they could supply the DFC-1 with their FT-21 automation. I have no idea as to their current status of manufacture though. I'd suspect that there are some now on trash heaps when film systems were removed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: