Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thoughts on the JBL 3678. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Thoughts on the JBL 3678.
Steven Smith
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Steven Smith   Email Steven Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I just wanted to get some advice on the JBL 3678 being used in a home theater. I know the 3 series is kinda frowned upon around here (although I really like the 3677). The 3678 has the 2226 woofer and is THX certified when run active.

I'm actually asking for a friend with a 14 wide room, 8' ceilings and sits 14' away, He found a deal on 3 used 3678 but doesn't want to settle for an inferior sound.

To keep it simple,in the opinion of the Pro's (you guys), how does the 3678 compare to the QSC 2150,1120 or even JBL 4722. He's already Spoken with Sam Hynes at QSC and been told any of the QSC would be good for his size room.

Between those 4 is there a clearly better speaker as far as mibass, clarity, vocals and overall sound?

Thanks guys for any advice.

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2015 04:45 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven I'm using 3 behind my screen in a room 20' long, 13' wide with 9 foot ceilings.
I am not an expert on these things but I think they sound really good. I can't see how the larger speakers would be a good investment in a small room. Tuning the system to your room is everything. There are so many variables.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

The QSC trounces the JBL, especially in dialog intelligibility. I've done quite a few of both and there IS no comparison. The JBL is a much older design is are most of their cinema line and not built nearly as well. JBL is not bad by any means but they sure could stand some updating. Some day if they are ever as good as the QSC stuff I may start using them again.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-26-2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC are indeed built better but, based on my experience, I really cannot recommend them.

Steven Smith
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2015 09:32 PM      Profile for Steven Smith   Email Steven Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4722 is popular among a few guys with home theaters on avs. How would the QSC 2150 hold up against the 4722? Would the 2150 be superior?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-27-2015 07:49 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the 4722, probably a little big for a small room. You'll end up with your phase a little messed up since the sound is coming from three different places (in a big auditorium you can approximate the source to be coming from a single point since the speaker is far away).

I do appreciate though that the smaller speaker's performance are not top notch. If the room is big enough, the 4722 are probably going to be ok. For a 14' room... it'll work but probably the speakers are physically too big.

Gerald Dente
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Gerald Dente   Email Gerald Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general it seems like the 4722 is to large for the size room?

Has anyone heard the SC-1150 in comparison to the JBL 3678?

Also, what size screen would you put in a room that is 14 x 20?

Gerald Dente
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2015 08:39 AM      Profile for Gerald Dente   Email Gerald Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Mark Gulbrandsen how would you rate the Sc-1150 compared to the 3677 or 3678? Only qsc speaker I have heard is the k12, when I called qsc they said the cinema speaker would have a similar sound, more low end, tuned for the AT screen. I liked the k12's so much I wanted to use them as speaker, but that wouldnt work in my baffle wall. But comparing the jbl pa speakers to the qsc, I would take the qsc hands down.

Gerald Dente
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2015 07:49 AM      Profile for Gerald Dente   Email Gerald Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to hear anyone else chime in on the 3678. Looking to make a decision on what to get. Leaning towards the qsc SC-1150.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-04-2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the 3678. The HF on that speaker was not JBL's finest hour.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-04-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QSC-1150 certainly has better HF, also, the thing is perfectly rectangular, which will make your baffle wall construction somewhat easier.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 06:06 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a smallish room with the proper acoustic treatments and EQ I think all the choices above will give you great results. Which ever ones you can get the best deal on Id choose. If money is no option go the QSC route. If it is then you can find a cheap trio of JBL 3677s or 3678s on the used market.

Gerald Dente
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Gerald Dente   Email Gerald Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the 3678 for $1500 for three. not a bad deal and I own the DSI amps already. Biggest issue I have with the 3678 is the horn.

Found the sc-1150 for $700 each shipped and the 4722 for $1088.

The 4722 and 1150 worth the extra cash? Hard to make a choice when I cant actually demo the speakers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2015 06:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take a 4722 ANY DAY over the 3678. If you gave me the 3678s and the 4722 was $1,100 each...I'd find the $3,300. It is THAT big a difference. And if you did give me the 3678s...I'd eBay them...there is always a sucker out there.

Gerald Dente
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2015 07:33 AM      Profile for Gerald Dente   Email Gerald Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments everyone. It is very hard to make a decision when I cant actually demo the system.

I personally dont like the look of the 3678 and I know that shouldnt play a role in my purchase but, its just so ugly. That horn.. no thanks.

4722 has a pretty flat response and not hard drop off after 12khz. I would be running them with DSI amps to get the most of the speaker.

I think its either going to be the 4722 or the QSC sc-1150. Price is not the issue I would rather get the speaker that's better for my application. Small room 14x20. I also have twelve ported 18" subs in that room. I went a tad overboard [Big Grin] but if its not worth over doing its not worth doing IMO.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: