Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help needed with Philips FP16 that has been butchered.

Author Topic: Help needed with Philips FP16 that has been butchered.
Stephen Twigg
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2015 05:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Twigg   Email Stephen Twigg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am new to this game and have been assessing a Philips FP16 that is excess to requirements at a local cinema to take home. I have a couple of qustions that I hope somebody might be able to help me with.

First of all, the wires that run from in the body to the lamphouse have been cut so I do not know how these are powered (3 phase or 240v, I've read different views on the net but there is no rectifier to be found on site). Also, the main projector, how would that be powered?

The reason I have to ask this is because, as you can see in the pictures below, several wires in the lower part of the main body have either been cut or removed completely (wires from lamphouse, one side of covered junction in the middle and several have been cut on the white junction box on the right).

Would anybody either know how wires are setup, or have pictures of a working one so I can see where the wires are supposed to be please.

Best regards,

Steve.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2015 09:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen

That little Philips 500watt xenon lamphouse would definitely need a rectifier to operate. I have one on a 35mm machine and I simply converted it to run off halogen 230vac lamps, you need to experiment a bit to get the right set up but for home use the results are ok. If u want xenon then you will need a single phase rectifier which seem pretty rare in the UK . I finally got hold of one after a year or so of hunting.

As for the machine itself I'm pretty sure the motor will be 3 phase . It's likely to be configured to run off single phase with a capacitor providing the phantom phase. If I were you though I would get hold of a second hand inverter (variable frequency drive) and run the motor off that. It will give you soft start and if you set it up for three wire control you will be able to use the push buttons on the machine . Just make sure everything is properly earthed , get an electrician if you're not sure ! Do you have a wiring diagram ?
Hope that helps .
Good luck , Jon

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: