Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 11th Todd-AO 70mm Festival

Author Topic: 11th Todd-AO 70mm Festival
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2015 09:47 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have launched the 11th instalment of the “Todd-AO 70mm Festival“ to be held from 9 - 11 October 2015 at the Schauburg Cinerama in Karlsruhe, Germany. For three days in October Filmtheater Schauburg celebrates the world of LARGE FORMAT film, by offering a series of epic films in 70mm.

"Inherent Vice"
"Interstellar"
"The Great Race"
"In den Schuhen des Fischers"
"Battle of the Bulge"
"Signale - Ein Weltraumabenteuer"
"Vertigo"
"Tschaikowski"
"Camelot - Am Hofe König Arthurs"
"Alien3"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"

We are proud to present the latest 70mm films and a some 70mm film classics which all proudly carry the names of large format film: DEFA 70, VistaVision, Sovscope 70, Panavision, IMAX and Ultra Panavision 70. We feel our 2015 program has it all: Space adventures, Musical, Drama, War, Nazis, Religion, Music, Songs, Mystery, Cars, Chases, Panzer, Adventure, Revenge and true love. Bring your family, your children, your grand mother to see the films again in a big cinema. Some films are in their original English versions and some "70mm Vintage Classics", are dubbed into German. Due to the age of the prints, many have lost their color and are faded. But they are ORIGINAL premiere 70mm prints from the 1960s.

"Todd-AO Festival" policy is simple, NO DIGITAL! That is our Todd-AO Festival hall mark, as we honour 60 years of 70mm projectionist tradition, and present film as they were meant to be presented, on genuine 70MM film. One of very few original cinemas, still equipped with 70mm projectors. The huge screen is 18 meters wide, curved and covered by a "Cinerama red" curtain. It’s the perfect framework to present 70mm in the splendour of 6-track magnetic sound.

Festival page in case you are interested in vintage film projection/presentation: http://www.in70mm.com/schauburg/2015/index.htm

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-18-2015 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 300th Birthday to the city of Karlsruhe!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2015 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Hauerslev
It’s the perfect framework to present 70mm in the splendour of 6-track magnetic sound.
Inherent Vice
Interstellar
Vertigo

Ummmmmmmm. [Razz]

quote: Thomas Hauerslev
epic films in 70mm
Alien 3

(I'll just shut up now. [Wink] )

Hope the show is a huge success. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-19-2015 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now how do you know if he didn't dupe the movies to magnetic full-coat and is running them interlock?

As for Alien 3...well....

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come across the Pond and have a look at the cool Schauburg: http://www.in70mm.com/schauburg/gallery/index.htm

The films are faded and in color, beer is good, projection excellent and company extraordinary - in 70mm is all it's screen splendour and a multitude of stereo tracks.

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you let us know which ones are faded? I'd love to attend, but I won't be interested in the ones dubbed into German, and some I have already seen in 70mm, and if the rest are all faded, I don't think it's going to be worth the effort to make the long trip. [Cool]

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 02:37 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fredrik, it would be good to see you in Karlsruhe. Basically everything pre-LPP stock is faded. LPP was introduced early 1980s. German dubs are indicated on the festival page. Considering the rare opportunity to see some REALLY rare 70mm films on the big screen, fading becomes secondary and foreign dubs to me.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 03:39 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mention IMAX as a format being presented and now I am a bit confused. As far as I remember, only one of the movies you mention has ever been released in 70mm IMAX: Interstellar. And did you actually get hold of an IMAX projector? I somehow doubt that. [Wink]

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously we don't run IMAX 15 perf in a 5/70 cinema. But the idea would be interesting.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 12:32 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so obvious when you say for yourself:

quote:
We are proud to present the latest 70mm films and a some 70mm film classics which all proudly carry the names of large format film: DEFA 70, VistaVision, Sovscope 70, Panavision, IMAX and Ultra Panavision 70.
You also mention "Panavision", which in itself is not a format. Yeah, anybody (at least around here) can guess that your projector won't handle 15/70 IMAX, but why list it as one of the formats being presented?

Anyway, I still wish you all the luck and if you present the non-dubbed version of those movies, I might even show up on the doorstep. [Wink]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX 15 perf footage when run through a 5/70 projector looks REALLY strange! [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-24-2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 60s we'd just get stoned, call it avante garde and would think it was WONDERFUL! [beer]

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2015 02:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Marcel: You are most welcome. We do indeed present non-dubbed versions on most titles. German dubs are indicated on the page.

2,39:1/2.35:1 are formats in my world. I consider "Filmed in Panavision" a format. I list IMAX, because "Interstellar" is filmed partly in IMAX. If we presented it "in IMAX" I would write that. Equally, we don't present "Vertigo" "in VistaVision", or "The Great Race" "in Panavision" - it's simply "in 70mm". Some (me included) can argue it should be "in Panavision 70", in which many blow ups were advertised in the '60s.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-25-2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From NBC News [Smile] :

quote:

Truck Art Installation Gets Parking Ticket in Karlsruhe

By M. Alex Johnson

European news outlets and social media blew up this week after a parking warden in the German city of Karlsruhe issued a 30-euro parking ticket to an art installation of a truck bending itself up the wall of the city's famous technology and media museum.

The ticket was reported indignantly by a variety of European news outlets, and the warden was blasted online for being "pedantic" and "humorless" after pictures of the red Mercedes-Benz truck were published with the ticket tucked neatly under a windshield wiper — even though the truck is bent 90 degrees with its back half rising in the air.

The museum, the Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie (Center for Art and Technology in Media), said it had persuaded the Oberbürgermeister, or mayor, of Karlsruhe to appeal the fine after it asked the artist, the Austrian conceptual sculptor Erwin Wurm, to pay it.

The citation was for “Gross Violation of Physical Laws.”

Commenters and art critics debated the meaning of the ticket. "It is only complete with the ticket. It shows that art is alive and real," one wrote on the museum's Facebook page, adding: "Without the ticket, the object would die."

"This is living art!" another wrote. A third remarked that Wurm was fortunate he wasn't "prosecuted for illegal vehicle modifications."

But the Berlin newspaper Der Tagesspiegel revealed the secret this week: "This was meant all along as a joke" as part of Karlsruhe's celebration of the 300th anniversary of the founding of Karlsruhe, a city spokesperson said. The warden printed a fake ticket in coordination with the city clerk's office, which then deleted it.

After the gag was blown, a spokeswoman for the museum told the newspaper: "We think it's great. It's good when the fine leaders of this city think for themselves artistically."

-

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: