Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor ending 35mm operations in July?

Author Topic: Technicolor ending 35mm operations in July?
Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard this second-hand from a distributor, anyone else hear about this?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Kurtzke
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Kurtzke   Email Michael Kurtzke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it from Technicolour a few weeks ago when they shipped us a 35mm print of Poltergeist by accident.

The rep on the phone said that they are going to phase out 35mm at the end of June.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-01-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Technicolor the source for all 35mm prints? We've been 100% digital for several years, and virtually all of our content comes from Deluxe. I think Paramount and Wienstein are the main ones that come from Technicolor.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are some smaller distributors too like G-Kids that use them
I assume this means no more first run 35mm as well? Or maybe they will be distributing through a different source?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney uses Deluxe at least part of the time - Avengers 2 came from Deluxe and so did Tomorrowland, I think.

Probably whoever gives them the best price per print gets the business.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-01-2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FotoKem is still making some 35mm movie prints. The lab can process 65mm film negatives and make 70mm prints. On a related note though Datasat plans to shut down the digital sound for film prints part of its business this Summer, but Datasat will handle special projects like the 5-perf 70mm print run for The Hateful Eight.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2015 07:29 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK all 35mm release prints for North America are manufactured by Fotokem. Technicolor was handling the distribution of those prints to cinemas, but as reported above that operation is shutting down. At least some studios are going to use Vision Media Management in Santa Clarita for future 35mm print shipping.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2015 04:35 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also hearing that they are unloading a bunch of prints (all of them?)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-04-2015 05:05 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They appear to be unloading some by the simple but effective method of simply not arranging for their return shipping after they play.

There have now been three times since the start of this year in which one of the programmers have told me that a number of prints will be arriving for a specific show, and asked me to pick the best one for screening. They are all titles from the last decade (Cradle Will Rock was one, and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind the other - can't remember the third), and all came from Technicolor.

So I duly did the technical selection, and long after these shows we still have a bunch of these prints sitting and festering here. I don't know what's going on, but if I had to guess, Technicolor would seem to be clearing out their inventory of older and more obscure 35mm titles (i.e. the ones for which there is likely to less piracy paranoia from their owners) by simply shipping out every copy they have of a given title when a booking comes in for it, and not bothering to collect them afterwards.

That's one way of freeing up warehouse space, I guess!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2015 09:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor did the same thing with their master 3-D lens kits that were given out to most of the technicians that completed the 3-D training. Oddly though they wanted all the lenses back that were installed in theaters... I know several techs and myself that still have that lens kit...

Mark

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2015 03:45 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an email from Daniel Schulz last week. "Terminator: Genisys" was the final title to use DTS/Datasat. There will be the 70mm presentations this winter of Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" which will be in Datasat, but that's the end of it.

RIP DTS
1993-2015

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-14-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't go as far as to put money on it, but the fact is that if any of the usual 70mm suspects (Nolan, Tarantino, Anderson etc.) wants to do another show in the format, they're going to need to produce a DTS/Datasat track for the release prints.

I'd therefore speculate that Datasat and FotoKem may well come to some arrangement whereby FotoKem takes over the rights to the process and takes it fully in-house for boutique projects. It depends if there are likely to be any more major 5/70 releases after The Hateful Eight, I guess.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: