Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Irem EX85G 3-1 rectifier /Strong Console

Author Topic: Irem EX85G 3-1 rectifier /Strong Console
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
It seems that Strong Consoles did indeed come with the above rectifier, one of which I've just got hold of.Does anyone have any experience of them ? I want to pair it with a Cinemeccanica CX20 lamphouse . From the pic below its obvious it's already set for single ph operation but does anyone know what I should do with terminals ABCD? I think C&D are just a switch , so it should keep the wire loop in place. Are A&B a 230vac output for the lamp igniter in the lamphouse ? The CX20 needs 230v at the igniter and the blower fan. I know it doesn't matter how I feed the fan but does the lamp igniter need to be fed from the rectifier or will any 230v supply do? Grateful as ever for any help or advice . Thanks

-
 - [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan
We have spoken before on this forum, we have a friend at Chipping Norton Theatre.
From your post are you wishing to use that power unit with a lamphouse, that has a short arc xenon lamp?.
If so then I would think that this power unit with a filament level adjust is not the type to run such a lamp.

They produce light by using an igniter to ironise the gas, then with a short duration arc, high current low level voltage (depending on the power rating of the lamp) the arc is kept on as long as the high current is present.

So no filament is part of this type of lamp.

Now I may have read your post correctly if so post more and we will see what we can work out.

Tony Smith

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

Yes Mr Smitten I think !

The power supply is actually from a Strong Highlight 2 console that was in daily use at a cinema in Birmingham , so it's meant for use with a xenon lamp. My query is what the aux (A&B) terminals are for. I'm hoping they are the 220vac for the ignitior.

Cheers jon

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan
ok then it must have been for a high wattage lamp with known current,(upto 3000 watts) as the power supply(Recifier) seems to
have no current control, as external ajustment.

I would say by the 2 contacts, the AUX A&B would be analogue simple relay closure.

Still very new to this but the CX 20 lamphouse I would say is not
directly compatible with this unit.

Do you have any info on the unit? The folks at IREM were very helpful to me, when I was rebuilding a Power Unit(Rectifier) for the slightly smaller lamp house, again for a Cinemeccanica lamp house, running either a 500 watt or 1000watt Xenon short arc lamp

Tony Smith

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony
I did contact Irem and they were very helpful and have confirmed that the A & B terminals are for the igniter circuit in the lamphouse as I thought and that it will be fine with a CX20.

There is a current adjuster on the front panel , a rotary pot which varies the current between 45A (1000 watt lamp ) to 85A (2000 watt lamp) . Interestingly it's a dual range rectifier capable of running from single phase or three phase and can power 1000,1600 and 2000 watt lamps . It was designed to sit in a console such as a Strong or Cinemeccanica . It's also compatible with any other lamphouse including the CX20. The great thing is, as it's a switch mode type , it's only 19kg.

Cheers

Jon

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2015 04:12 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan
Good so your home and dry

Tony Smith

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: