Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » KINOTON FP 30 D LAMP CONVERSION

Author Topic: KINOTON FP 30 D LAMP CONVERSION
Nigel Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Nigel Pickles   Email Nigel Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a kinoton FP30D Projector which had a 2000 watt lamp installed,I wish to use the existing reflector with a smaller lamp as its for my home cinema.Is there a mains 240 volt lamp or lower voltage lamp that would work with the existing reflector, I'd like to keep the lamp house as original as possible.I Originally posted this request in the The After life Section and I had some great advise regarding a different lamp source which if I can't get a lamp to work with the reflector then I will have to go down that route.Thanks Again.  -

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-06-2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A small halogen lamp might work in the original reflector. The filament coil is small but certainly larger than a xenon arc. You would have to make a support to position it at the focus of course. The Kodak S-AV slide projector had a 250W/24V one as I recall and it was pretty bright, we used them on some good sized screens.

-

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nigel,

In the UK that halogen lamp would be a A1/223.

Isn't Waterfoot somewhere near Bacup?

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2015 08:42 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do this. This will massively decrease your image quality regarding color accuracy and sharpness. Just try to aquire a 1000W xenon lamp and a small power supply. It is not expensive and I am sure you will not regret it. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-06-2015 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also 700/750 watt xenons that fit this lamphouse too.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2015 10:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure a xenon is the best bet , but if he doesn't have a single phase power supply then that could be tricky, single ph recs seem to be like gold dust. Plenty of old irem 3ph ones lying about, but it's getting the 3ph into them(I'm assuming he's planning on using it at home) is the problem . I doubt those little halogens will do much . There is an 800w/230v lamp called a DXX (red head) it's shaped a bit like a xenon , and it might be possible to sit it into the reflector in the same position as the xenon. It's long curled filament won't help but a 'one stop' scrim wire , as used in tungsten lamps like red heads, could be slotted into the lamphouse in front of the cone, it's small grid pattern ' might ' help the light waves more parallel and hence could help with sharpness , just a theory , it would of course also reduce the light !

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2015 12:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single phase "SWITCHING" supplies should be in somewhat abundance. IREM still makes them as does Kinoton, the last I checked (I think they were one of the things they kept). On this side of the pond, Strong still has their switchers (spotlights still use them). There are also an abundance of them that came out with DCinema. Most switchers can be set to run very low.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes , the only ones I ever see are states side , over here they are available new but very expensive . Second hand, I think I've only ever seen one on eBay . If anyone in the uk has one they want to sell , I'm all ears !

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2015 05:47 AM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a plenty of cheap DC power supplies made for welding. You pay around 150 bucks for them here in Germany. Add some caps and you have a perfect single phase xenon power supply.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2015 02:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes , that does seem to be a option , but those supplies can be pretty crude and it's uncertain how reliable they will be. I don't think anyone willing to try this is likely to be running the thing 8 hours a day, but still, you don't want it overheating and giving up on you on the one screening you do ! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: