Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon power unit IREM P1-X30B

Author Topic: Xenon power unit IREM P1-X30B
Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2015 11:56 AM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks
Still working my way through the refurbishment of a Cinemeccanica Portacine 35 x,work on the lamphouse at the moment. tried to get the lamp to light, but nothing, so went through all I could on the igniter it's a IREM AS3040(4 contacts on side 1,2,3&G)also have looked at the lamp power unit, its a IREM P1-X30B PSU, lamp iS 500 watts.
The igniter requires 230 volts ac to pins 1&2, when the "Strike" normally open button is pressed, so it can produce a RF pulse upto 40Kv to ironise the gas in the lamp, to arc and run,so lamp psu can keep lamp running, max current is 30amps at (I think 40 volts)dc
First off NO 230 volts ac to the igniter, this I think is fed from the lamp power supply, when 5x position projector run camm switch is on "4" or/and "5" as this in turn feed 230AC to the lamp power supply.
Is this correct( the wiring has a hour meter, as well as the strike push button in circuit)

If so never having come across one of these lamp power units, I think that the projector feed of 230 volts ac, may operate a mains relay in the lamp power unit, to feed the igniter and its 40 volts at high current.

The igniter has a separate switch also with, off, man& auto, the 3 selections do not stop the 230 volts ac being fed to the lamp power unit, so have not yet worked this logic out, as to how it may not need the strike button pushed if in auto, as the igniter only has 4 connections, unless the auto is just a relay closure across the strike button.

Any help with this problem please.

tony smith

C

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-28-2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two of these rectifiers, but no manuals and I know little of their internal workings. If you find a manual or parts list for these, please post it or let me know. I have never seen another one of this model anywhere, ever.

Mine run on 120v at about 12 amps and are connected by the multipin connector to Cinemeccanica CX-20H lamphouses with 500w lamps.

One issue that I had with mine is that the original fuse holders eventually heated up and disintegrated. I replaced them with what appear to be better-quality fuse holders and all is well now.

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott
Thanks for your reply, yes I too have combed the internet for details of the Xenon Lamp power unit, but nothing as yet found.
If I come across any information and or manuals, will post them here.

I know power supply is very heavy, like not all that portable, similar to the projector, even with the spool arms and take up motor removed.

I need to get into this power unit, so will post findings here, I would like to get this beast to work.

What findings I have was in my first post, but it should not be that difficult to work out some schematic of the unit.

Tony Smith

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2015 02:31 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to determine if the problem is in the igniter or the psu (rectifier).

Turn on the psu (you may need to have the projector running in position 4 or 5) and have the igniter in manual mode so it does not try to strike the lamp by itself. Then, measure the voltage the psu puts out. The voltage of the open circuit should be something like 80 V. If it's much lower or zero, the psu is the problem.

Then, what happens when you try to strike the lamp manually? If nothing at all, that would indicate the igniter is not functioning. If it is working, you should see and hear some sparks flying inside the lamp.

Besides, a 500 W lamp is supposed to run at something like 19 V and and 28 A. (Your 40 V and 30 A would be 1200 W!)

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2015 04:56 AM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fredrik
Thank you for your reply.
The system we are looking to get working, is where the Recifier(lamp power supply) provides the 230 volts AC to the igniter, this is the way I think it works, or say should.

In projector run function 5 position switch, as you say 4 and 5 positions feed out 230 volts ac via the recifier's umbilical cord to recifier, this in turn should feed 230 volts AC back to the igniter, pins 1&2 to produce arc to ironise the lamp gas to pass current.

This is followed by /and (ref back plate info on the rectifier unit) 40 volts dc with max current of 30amps.
The current limiting is done by a 5 position switch on the recifier, and displayed on a inbuilt ampmeter.

As far as we get is the projector feeds the 230 volts AC to the rectifier , when projector switched to 4, and 5 as a form of switch voltage, ( mains power is fed directly to the rectifier by it's own IEC mains plug)but no volts out from the rectifier on any pins.

The igniter info calls up some form of timer is required in the AS units, to time out the 230 volts to the igniter to prevent damage if you have a faulty lamp, not found any of this yet.

So we think it may well be the rectifier thats the problem, just
wondered if our way of thinking on how it works is correct, plus any help from folks on the forum with knowledge of this beast.

Take your info on the lamp voltage and current(500watt lamp) will need to check this further, with lamp specs if I find any.

Tony Smith

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you write to Irem they will help. They are nice folks. They have supplied me with schematics of older units they made in the past.

Mark

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 04:51 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
Thanks for your reply. I have contacted Irem, they inform they have no technical folks there that have any knowledge of this unit, they did ask for it's serial number which I have given them, but no more info from them.

So we are in the process of working through the Rectifiers fault(S) and how its made.

Up to now we have a good working knowledge of the rectifier, its not that complex.
Its just a liner power unit, with a very large mains transformer,
which has multi tappings on the primary,five plus the start and end of the primany winding, so seven in total.

The current/voltage limit camm switch (front panel knob) switches
in different windings of the transformer depending what current voltage is required to maintain lamp operation.

The Mains transformer feeds to a high wattage bridge rectifier, or a high wattage single diode, still looking into this wiring(clamped to the rear panel) next mains smoothing /res electrolytic capacitor two in parallel, with a very heavy duty choke as the high impedance between smoothing capacitors and the output capacitor.

This low voltage DC high current is fed out via the umbilical cable connection between the rectifier and the projector as + and - to the lamp.

The multi winding mains transformer has 2 high wattage wirewound resistors (not sure yet of values) which are also switched into AC feed to the primary, or may be always connected to each end of the primary winding.

The igniter AC 230 volts is fed from the rectifier via the umbilical to the projector, being switched on by a contactor 3 pole, only 2 poles used, which in turn is switched on by 230 volts AC fed from the projector, when its operate switch, is in position 4 and 5.

This contactor was not switching, with 230 volts AC, this we have repaired(beware if you try and remove the contactor as the 4 x switched contacts are spade connectors, but are soldered on,
so cannot remove them , unlike the coil spade connectors which are not soldered)

Much of the sleeving which covers all these connectors has gone very brittle, and dropped off, exposing live mains terminals, beware of this , we are in the process of adding new shrink sleeving.

Thats as far as we have got at the moment, will keep you informed

Tony Smith

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks
Just an update, the lamp is now working, problems were, the contactor not working, and the feed back from the projector in switch mode 4&5 should be a 230 volts mains AC neutral, but was in fact a live, caused by the main socket wiring, live and neutral reversed.

This neutral is used to add to the live on the mains coil to activate the contactor,which feeds mains to the transformer, hence to the full power unit, different type of logic switching thats for sure.

The lamp was only run for a test at about 16 volts, 22 amps, this postion 1 of seven on the volt/ current rectifier switch.

Will refine this when we get the audio working.

Tony Smith

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks
Just to say that IREM came up with the goods, they provided a circuit diagram, parts list and spec sheets.

A most helpful company, as Mark called up.

Tony Smith

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please send a copy to be posted in the film-tech warehouse

Tony Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2015 04:55 AM      Profile for Tony Smith   Email Tony Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon
Plus anu others that may like a copy have uploaded 3 sections of the IREM P1-30X lamp power supply
They are ;- Schematic,

See other thread with link

Tony Smith

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: