Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Projection-The Early Years

Author Topic: Digital Projection-The Early Years
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from Motography, February 27, 1915
 -

Ok, not quite digital, but on the right track
[Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 01:42 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that the lack of a shutter would cause this design to fail. The incandescent lamps would not be able to dim/illuminate at a fast enough rate to work the same as a shutter, or to allow the proper lighting of each color.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 02:31 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee de Forest had the same problem with optical sound recording - the changes in intensity of the filament just weren't quick enough in response to the input signal - and basically hit a brick wall until Case came along with the AEO-light.

The ironic thing is that with LEDs, this arrangement could probably now be made to work.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2015 06:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In browsing through a number of old cinema-tech magazines & patents, it seems that
for a many years, beginning in the late 1900's, engineers were searching for a way to
build a 'shutterless' or 'continuous motion' projector. Many different designs were
tried using various combinations of moving mirrors, prisms & lenses, with varying
degrees of success. All of them suffered from extreme mechanical complexity,and loss
of light. The only practical shutterless machine I'm aware of was the German Mechau.

Strobe lights didn't come along till the early 30's. Experiments using strobes as a light
source were tried, but strobes, especially the early ones, just didn't have the light
output or 'recovery time' to put out a picture anything more than a couple of feet wide.

I believe there was at least one shutterless telecine projector made either in
the late 50's or early 60's that used a strobe (I think it was a GE 'synchrolight')
but someone here probably knows more about that than I do.

I do recall seeing a 'retired' one once at an old TV station some years back.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 07:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, Jim. The GE used a Simplex base. Also don't forget the Norelco, based on the FP-20.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was also the "video Steenbeck", which consisted of a Steenbeck flatbed viewing/editing table with a CRT TV camera mounted in place of the rear-projection screen, with the camera's scanning being synced to the rotation of the prism somehow. The tapes they made were not bad, and it was the only telecine arrangement I know of that was available in the '70s and '80s that didn't cost megabucks but which also allowed transfers at frame rates other than 25 and 29.97. The main drawback was that contrast/gamma/color adjustment wasn't possible on an individual shot basis and so they were only any use for making quick-and-dirty reference viewing copies of film reels: its output was not of an acceptable quality for broadcast.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-27-2015 08:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philips built the SPP800 puls lamps for shutter free projection with the FP20S. And they had the puls light FP2 already back in the 30s. Yes, it is certainly easier now to do that with LEDs...

- Carsten

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2015 01:50 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small correction there: the FP2 had a continuously burning high-pressure mercury lamp, and a shutter...

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
There was also the "video Steenbeck", which consisted of a Steenbeck flatbed viewing/editing table with a CRT TV camera mounted in place of the rear-projection screen, with the camera's scanning being synced to the rotation of the prism somehow.
There was, in fact, a broadcast-acceptable version of this that was used at the BBC in the '80s called the Polygon. It's what Kevin Brownlow utilized for his documentaries "Hollywood" and "Unknown Chaplin."

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 04:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen articles on a shutterless 16mm JAN the military came up with years ago using an outboard-mounted xenon configuration. That thing must have chewed up a lamp's electrodes firing 24xps!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-02-2015 05:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't one want the strobe to flash 48 p/sec to eliminate visible pulsing if no shutter was used?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: