Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » APX files on DTS disc?

Author Topic: APX files on DTS disc?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-20-2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

just digged up an old DTS disc with the handwritten name 'Mr. Bean' on it. Inserted it into my notebook and found the usual files of a dts cinema CD on it - except there are 5 *.APX files on it, besides the trailer AUD file, TXT, etc.

I heard about the transition from AUD to AUE for encrypted feature discs around 2004/2005, but what is APX? Apparently, it is 'Mr. Beans Holiday' from 2007.

This is a CD, not a DVD.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not 100% sure (memory is hazy), but I think APX was the file format for a disc watermarking system that was being tested back then. The discs were individually watermarked, so that if there was a pirated copy of a movie that surfaced on the internet, and the audio was captured from a DTS disc (either by recording in the auditorium or tapping the analog output), a forensics team would be able to identify which disc was used on that playback.

It was pretty cool technology, but in the end cost prohibitive and never saw a rollout.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-11-2015 02:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, right, so that indicated files on unique CD-R discs, I assume.

Once you're finished completely with Datasat Digital Sound releases and there is no piracy involvement anymore, it's time for a technical history on all these things.
Those technologies deserve their legends as well.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: