Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70MM ultra panavision (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70MM ultra panavision
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 03:01 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many theatres have the lens to run the up coming Hateful eight or are they making lens, is that why boston light & sound did the site evaluations of the theatres running the 5/70 interstellar. i can imagine the lens that are still out there would be at least 40 years old, how good are the optics yet, or are they going to make matted 70mm prints for those that don`t have one.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 03:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you are thinking of Ultra Panavision 70?

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2005/ultra_panavision_70/index.htm

The Panavision UP70 projection lenses are close to 55 years old - or older

http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2004/68/ultra_panavision/index.htm

Super Panavision 70:

http://www.in70mm.com/library/process/super_panavision_70/index.htm

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 11:35 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake i did mean ultra panavision 70

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-10-2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that BLSI is recycling older 1.25x anamorphs that were used on series 1 DCP projectors, building the necessary film projector mounting hardware and giving them an afterlife projecting UP70.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2015 09:31 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo for that imfo

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-27-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My UP-70 Anamorphic attachment is still in pristine condition. An no, they can't use it!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-27-2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.25X anamorphics are not not unique to Series 1 projectors. Our most recent installation also used one on a 4K projector as one yields a 23% more efficient (light wise) scope picture on a constant height screen. In every instant when we used the anamorphic lens for scope (again, only on constant height screens), the results were superior to just zooming the lens. Sometimes one can't even get a suitable zoom lens that covers the range between scope and flat...particularly on longer TRs.

I had heard the Schneider/ISCO will be making new lenses for this release.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 01:46 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks steve for the imfo ,when we have our nato get together up here in mpls, mn, in may & if the schneider rep is at the trade show i`ll ask him .there is one at the heights theatre 20 mi from me but i believe it is a 4" mount kind of hard with my simplex w/ a turrent plus it is 60 years old. did you here about m t e taking 35 dts readers & making them into 70 readers

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2015 05:59 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need more 70MMDTS readers if this whole 70mm 5-perf print revival is going to work. You would think some entrepreneur could mod the 35mm readers.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-30-2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rumor is that MTE is doing just that or making them from scratch. In truth, there is nothing about the DTS reader that a semi-competent machine shop couldn't make.

What I find odd is that Datasat has been relatively quite about it all and you'd think they would look at it as a good opportunity. 100 screens of 70mm film only helps them. Now the truth is, there would be no reason to crank up XD20 player production again, there are STACKS of DTS6/6D XD10s and probably XD20s around the country.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-30-2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing reports that Datasat will be pulling out of the film sound market altogether and discontinuing support for the DTS system in July. Apparently (so I'm told) there was one theater chain that still had enough DTS 35mm installations to justify timecode neg mastering and disc production for a small number of new features, but they now no longer have enough screens to make this economically viable (they've either closed down completely or gone digital) and so Datasat are having to call it a day. It's being speculated that they're in talks with FotoKem for a sale of the rights to the system, so that DTS 70mm "boutique" titles can continue to be supported.

It seems to me that from a hardware perspective, there shouldn't be a problem at the theater end. The DTS players in existence are all essentially 1990s vintage PCs. The same job could be done now by a Raspberry Pi with some flash memory, in terms of processing power and storage space needed. The only real problem is the readers, and as Steve points out, manufacturing new ones shouldn't be so complicated that it would take an order of tens of thousands to be viable.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2015 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnatech IS making new dts70 readers, but keep in mind Datasat/dts is shutting down operations with the Tarantino title.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2015 01:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it is possible for cinema processor & server manufacturers to allow DTS 35mm or 70mm time code readers to work with hardware designed mainly for d-cinema use. It's kind of like a modern 7.1 surround sound receiver at home still being able to hook up a vinyl record player.

It would be nice if d-cinema systems could synchronize film sound data from a 35mm or 70mm print, either in the data lossy compressed DTS theatrical format or even uncompressed 24/48 LPCM (or even next gen formats like Atmos). Obviously there's not much demand for that, but film may continue to live on for some time at the boutique level particularly if 70mm films like The Hateful Eight create more demand for it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-30-2015 08:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were trying to design a new player from scratch, I'd probably go for an add-on card that slots into an AP20 or CP750/850 with, say, half a gigabyte of flash memory onboard to hold the audio data, USB stick and ethernet ports to ingest the audio data and an input for the signal from the timecode reader. In the processor's software you would set up things like the offset and what channels are routed where, and it then plays whatever you like (e.g. 8 wideband channels of LPCM) straight from the internal flash memory in sync with the timecode.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-30-2015 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it confirmed that Datasat is shutting down after Hateful Eight? That is, is the AP20 and such to also be no more?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: