Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Mag Stereo Speaker Placement (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm Mag Stereo Speaker Placement
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 12:25 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, was 70mm Mag Stereo circa 1964 4 track or 6 track?

Second, could someone please tell me the speaker placements?

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 12:32 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original mix 70 releases were 6 channel all the way through the end. 4 track was mixed for 35mm releases. Looking at the screen from the booth starting at the left screen, 5 screen speakers placed were LEFT, LEFT EXTRA, CENTER, RIGHT EXTRA, RIGHT, with the SURROUND speakers in the auditorium itself. There was no subwoofer chan. or any split surrounds. 35MM magnetic sound used a trigger tone to activate the surround channels when signal was present, this kept the background hiss to a minimum. Once Ray Dolby perfected the noise reduction for the background noise on mag tracks the later 35mm prints did not use the trigger tone and the surround channel was on at all times. (Mid-late 1970s)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE ran "WoodStock" yesterday at our all Simplex XL screening room yesterday and the 12Khz trigger tome was there for sure. The tone comes on a little ahead of the surround track to give the circuit enough time to open as it were but it's mildy annoying as it signals surrounds to come any moment now. Later 35 Mag did not use this pilot tone as the oxides had gotten finer and less noisy. Dolby NR helped as well on prints encoded with A type.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-23-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm magnetic was always a "6-track" medium since 1954 onwards. The use of all 5 screen channels diminished over time and all but vanished after 1977 and Star Wars though there were exceptions like "Annie." Reissues of classic titles but with Dolby NR also kept the original mix.

I don't know why 35mm 4-track was brought up since it wasn't part of the original question.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2015 09:03 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was so nice during the 70mm roadshow days to hear 5 separate stereo channels behind the screen for a full wide screen sound. If someone was talking way over on screen right that speaker was on. The speakers followed who was talking on the screen. Even though they only had one surround ch It was still very effective for off screen sounds used a few times for wind, thunder, ect. When stereo music was used on a 70mm film It sounded so great with all five speakers going on like a full orchestra behind a big huge curved 70mm screen. Now they mix all the voice's just to the center channel with 3 speakers behind the screen. At least now we have a choice of many channels in the surround speakers. I have been to many big movie theatres and they did not have room for all 5 speakers on stage so they hid the far right and left speakers for a 5 speaker 70mm set up in the sides of the screen in a organ loft or hidden side grill section. This was ok for music but for talking It was a little strange. I'll be going to the Castro Theatre in SF on Tuesday 3/24 for SF's first showing of Inherent Vice in 70mm film. I believe the Castro has a five speaker 70mm set up. Hope they mixed the 70mm film print of Inherit for 5 channels on stage. The Castro has some of the worst surround speakers in any large theatre, they are hardly ever turned up and very week in fidelity. The used surround tan colored speakers were brought over to the Castro many years ago from the old Blumenfield Alhambra Theatre on Polk St now a gym. It's time for the Castro to bring in Myers sound for a good rich deep base sound with proper surround speakers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2015 09:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual, Steve G. is right.

I have found, however, that there were far fewer 5 across prints than others thought. Even 2001 used blended channels to source #2 and #4. Many others, too, in the before-Dolby era. Unless the cinema was really wide, you could turn off 2 and 4.

I was told the reason for this is that there was only one mixing room equipped for 5. Several equipped for 3 left over from Scope. If the picture became delayed, it missed its booking for the room and another plan had to be used.

Hard to believe in this day of everyone having a good room.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were indeed a fair number of "Spread" mixes where LC/RC were derived channels. I do maintain that 2001 was a good example of where the spread worked extremely well. I've listened to that movie a great deal in various formats and the 70mm mix was a rather good one. LC/RC did their job and the movie is definitely inferior when only 3 screen channels are present. Phantom channels when the speakers are far apart just doesn't work. The way some people tune up rooms also kills phantom channels due to phase relationship issues.

An example of a bad 70mm 5-across would be Bridge Over the River Kwai...I think it is mono out of 5 speakers. More is not better and if you are not going to pan the dialog, then don't bother having it come out of anything but Center...it is more distracting.

I'm hearing panned dialog more from animated features than live-action ones in modern movies...and that is to be expected, I guess. You know where everything is going to be in an animated feature.

Probably my favorite 70mm mix was Sound of Music...just a real good use of a soundtrack and the capabilities of the day.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone.

What prompted my question is that I just watched the new Bluray of First Men In The Moon, and while I had previously only seen the film in 35mm mono, the 5.1 tracks sounded like it had been taken from the original 70mm mix. Of course, I have no way of knowing if that is indeed the case, but it reminded me of the great 70mm sound I heard as a youth, as opposed to a more modern remix.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2015 06:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of any 70mm prints of that title

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2015 06:44 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon
I never heard of any 70mm prints of that title
Carr & Hayes claim there were 70mm prints in the United States...but we all know how accurate their book has proven to be. I've never come across any evidence to substantiate their claim. On the other hand, one cannot prove a negative....

And...Ray Harryhausen mentioned in an interview that he believed 70mm prints were made for some European bookings (which, if true, could mean any number of things in regard to the audio).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-25-2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve G. knows: sometimes only one 70mm print was struck for a particular cinema. About 1979 I saw a kung-fu one-week-only print at the Uptown. 70mm-mono just for them.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2015 02:22 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite honestly, I was not aware of a 70mm release for First Men In The Moon. The IMDB is where I found out it happened, although admittedly the IMDB is not always the most reliable source of information.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

Inherent Vice is a DTS 5.1 mix on 70mm. Only 3 screen channels. I will have to double check the next time I am doing service at the Castro but I don't think they have L & R extra.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2015 06:09 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2015 06:10 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan***Thank's for your info. Next time you do a mtc/service call at the old Castro Theatre can you please turn UP the surround speakers on the side and back walls. I saw Inherent last night and the surrounds were almost silent, no split surround. This is mostly the case every time I see a stereo movie at the Castro. I saw this same movie in DCP at the Century 9 and It had plenty of surround. The stage speakers are so bad It was hard to hear the voices good, no high pitch and the base is not good. Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: