Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can You Identify This Lamphouse? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Can You Identify This Lamphouse?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2015 08:24 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this 1947 photo a couple of 16mm projectors set up in the booth at the
Vogue Theater in an old business magazine. I recognize the 16mm's as being
a pair of Ampro-Arc Model AA's. But can anyone identify the 35mm lamphouse
just barely visible on the right? I know I've seen these lamps before, but I just
can't seem to remember what make/model they are? (I must be gettin' old!)
 -
This photo also explains the purpose of the 'extra' ports in the booth that I've
never been able to figure out. They weren't the right size or configuration for
a Brenograph, but this pic makes the reason for their presence clear now.

Just for fun here are a couple of photos of the (very crowded) Vogue booth
taken around Y2k11, just before they downgraded to digtial projection.
 -

The 35mm Projector is in place, and they've actually managed
to shoe-horn a Christie digitalcinemaprojectortingy in here!
 -

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-01-2015 10:07 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is likely a Strong Victory lamp house. It was sold under a couple of names that escape me right now. Ran on one continuous feed screw with different pitch for the negative and positive. Thus it was a perfect feed combination for only one amperage.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2015 12:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had those Victory lamps in one theatre I ran down in a small town here in Idaho .. but I thought they looked like Strong Moguls-the way the motor was mounted on the back end behind the reflector, but could be mistaken.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 03:31 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Monte- I encountered many Moguls back in my 'union days',
so I know what those look like. Also, The ass-end was a lot
more streamlined and had a fancy engraved metal plate on it.
 -

Sam came pretty close - - but pictures I was able to find of the "Victory"
lamphouses show some significant differences in the in the back-end
from what I can see on the lamp in the old Vogue photo.

But his suggestion got me looking at some old Strong equipment ads
and I believe the lamphouse is a Strong "Utility" Hi Intesnsity Lamphouse.

Both these pix are from 1946 STRONG Advertisements:
 -

-

There's a manual for the 'Utility' lamphouse in the FT Warehouse,
and the pictures in it match exactly what I see in the Vogue photo.

While going through old ads, it appears Simplex marketed a lamphouse
that was practically almost identical, except the ammeters were square,
instead of round, and the feed motor speed control knob was in a slightly
diffrent position.

"Mystery Solved" [thumbsup]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK since were doing Lamphouse Model identification; Can you tell me what Model Peerless Lamphouses these are! [Confused]

-

-

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 02:16 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JIM: This Ampro Arc could be one of those in your Picture. Came out of a San Francisco Theater.. [Confused]

-
 -

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve-
That's very interesting, because those are the EXACT type of projectors
that were in the 1947 magazine photo I posted- - right down to the amplifer.
The "standard" amp supplied with the Ampro-Arc's back than was a different
model than the one in the booth picture. The fact that the one in the photo,
which was a 'deluxe' version of the amp, is an exact match for the one in
the photo makes it quite possible those are the same projectors.

And, since we're talking lamphouses on this thread:
The ampro-acrs used a pair of Strong 2100 "Junior" Hi-Intensity lamps.

They burned 5.5mm x 6" neg & 6mm x 8" pos carbons, at 28V/30A.

(I never could figure out why carbon specs always mixed metric and
decimal data, always giving the diameter in millimeters and the
length in inches. [Confused] )

I worked with a couple of ampro-arcs when I was in the military and also
in the mid 1980's in the meeting/boardroom of a large corporation.

I'm darn curious where you found those pictures.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-03-2015 10:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The carbon for the 16mm machines was called Peerlex and was a very low colour temp
The Peerless in steves photo is a lowintensity lamphouse pre dateing the famous Magnarc

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 12:33 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Gordon said in is reply- - it's an early model Peerless lamphouse.

I have two old manuals here, both from the late 1920's that refer to it
as either the "Peerless Reflector-Arc" or "Peerless Reflflecto-Arc, Model 1"

This is from the 1927 "Richardson's Projection Manual"
 -

Here's one on a silent Simplex (1926):
 -

Actually, if you look closely, the lamphouses seem to be two slightly
different models. (Count the round 'vent holes' above the door, and the
position of the name-plate) All my old books show the lamphouse in the
foregorund, which has "7 holes". I can't find any pix of the other one.

I recognize those little rectifiers as early
STRONG's too. Here's an ad from 1926:
 -

>Now, what I'd like to identify is the type of soundheads in the picture<

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 01:30 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you guys saying,that this is an old Projection Booth! The Guy Told me all the Equipment was just a Few years Old! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you guys saying,that this is an old Projection Booth! The Guy Told me all the Equipment was just a Few years Old! [Wink] [Big Grin]

BTW:He also tried to sell me His Car; said it was a 2012 Model [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

-

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 07:45 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamphouse in question is indeed a Strong Utility 1KW lamp, they were the basis for the Simplex High also. The 16mms have Strong Junior lamps w/ 5.5 & 6mm sticks, the Peerless is the classic Peerless Low Intensity lamp ( 25-30 amp trim, manually fed sticks) that was also made for a very short time as a high intensity lamp w/ 1KW trim and optional motorized feed, but when the Peerless Magnarc HI lamp was introduced, the larger reflector and better working distance took care of the future of the Peerless Low. The Strong Victory lamp is actually unique, (I have a pair) They were very square in appearance and were only made in 1944 & 1945 out of non essential materials to support the war effort. They were very heavy too! They were basically a Mogul undercarriage with trims up to 70 amps and one lamp weighs more than two of the Strong Moguls! At 12 years old, I cut teeth on Strong Utilitys and Wenzel ACE projectors (at the Brockway Theatre at Lake Tahoe) soon they were upgraded to Moguls behind Motio AAAs that came out of the Basalone Theatre on Treasure Island Naval Base near San Francisco. The second booth I ever ran was a pair of Peerless Magnarcs behind Supers and RCA 9050s at the original Tahoe Theatre in Kings Beach for one summer, then the supes were moved to the new Cobblestone Cinema in Tahoe City and had the first ORC M-1000 Xenons sold by NTS at the time, My third booth worked was the Meeks Bay theatre with Magnarcs and E7s and RCA sound ran summers only. Then there was the Squaw Valley Theatre, Strong Utilitys, Century C, and R-2 soundheads. Boy, I'll never forget the early daysof my career!

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2015 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Left side view of that peerless Lamp ! Finding these old abandoned projection booths is really neat when the equipment has been left behind. [beer]

-

-
Old Simplex Standard with "You tell me" Lamphouse !

-

Why is this guy smiling? Because his theater has a Brandnew pair of E7's with new Magnarc Lamps ! [thumbsup]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-03-2015 09:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll tell you;>
Looks like a Brenkert Enarc lamp house. Recognize the logo on back. Don't know model details.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone Identify those Lamphouses...Belpark Theater 1940's

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: