Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vintage Projection Booth (check out)

Author Topic: Vintage Projection Booth (check out)
Aubrey Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Aubrey Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Aubrey Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm a new member but I realized that after working on a theater documentary I have a deep passion for projectors and movie equipment. I thought there maybe some experienced film handlers that would know what some of the equipment was in The Crump Theatre in Columbus, Indiana. Anyway check out the photos and more so the video. Only posting this for your enjoyment and any insight on what you see as far as vintage theater operations. http://www.silverstationvideo.com/the-crump-theatre/

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have there is a Simplex XL projector with RCA Photophone sound and a Strong Xenon lamphouse. The booth was setup for platter run. The lens mounted on the projector is a B&L Cinemascope lens. Also I saw a Hertner motor generator and in the "abandoned" projection room some Peerless Magnarc carbon arc lamps.

It would have been nice to have included some wider shots that would showcase the layout of the rooms. Was there a switchboard (AKA dimmer board) on the stage?

Its nice to see coverage of these older theaters because someday they will only be memories.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2015 04:02 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Excellent video of the Crump. It is only about an hour north of me. I haven't been there in years and didn't realize how bad of shape it has gotten to.
I recently read that the city and other groups have pretty much given up on it and put it up for lease/sale.
Hopefully another group will take on the task of restoring it.
The marquee was wonderfully restored about 15 years ago, but I guess not much else was.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-19-2015 09:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A mouse-eyed-slow-motion-view of the Crump. I seem to remember that every other row was missing seats at some point.

Theatre was once equipped with 4-track using the nearly worthless Ballantyne tube system from the 1950s.

I was there on a very cold Winter day 20+ years ago. Frozen patches of liquid on the floor. Open for business.

Aubrey Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2015 12:23 AM      Profile for Aubrey Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Aubrey Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mr. Raskin, thank you for the information and sorry about the delay in responding. Also, about not having wider shots of the projection booths, I usually do overall shots to keep the recording location organized and for continuity. I'm so familiar with this location that it seemed not to be an issue initially. I don't see in any other stage shots showing any switchboard and I don't recall there being a switchboard anywhere else. Mr. Ratcliff one of my summer projects is the get down to Madison, Indiana and capture some of that beautiful historic downtown. When The Grand Opera House in Madison opened it inspired John Crump so much, that he modeled the original Columbus opera house after it. Then after both became movie theaters there are many connections. Thanks again...anyone interested in The Crump progress, here is a Republic News (local paper) article that just recently ran? http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/New-challenge-at-historic-thea_1424308631

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2015 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice video. I can think of a hundred theaters you could do that to.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: